Long time of carbonation after bottling.. Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also had Kveik that took months to carbonate, although it being normal medium strength beer. I think it is because of the flocculation, it just sinks to the bottom of the bottle and says "nope, I'm done here Miser! Do that carbing thingy yourself, I want to sleep now.".
I am brewing a Kveik IPA this weekend. What suggest do you give when bottling?

It depends on the beer style. If I want lots of carbonation I go with maximum 4g/0.5l. If I brew an English bitter, I use 2 to 2.5g/0.5l.
It seems I put too much sugar (2.7g/ 330ml). 4-6 weeks after bottling when my IPAs have great foam, they still taste quite sweet, but the FG I tested before bottling was just around 2p-2.5p.

I had the same problem with two batch, both with S-04 yeast. On some forum I found a simple tip and tried it out. I turned the bottles upside down and after a few days turned them to their normal position and after a few more days moved them to the fridge. The beer got a real thick foam, and the taste improved significantly.

After a while I remembered to write here one note regarding my idea of turning the bottles due to the acceleration of carbonation.
It works and I got a thick foam after just one day of upside down the bottle and then a few days in a normal position. But after opening each bottle, I noticed that dried yeast residues appeared on the underside of the caps. If these leftovers got into the beer, due to shaking the bottle for example, it would probably spoil the beer. At best, the taste of the beer would change.
Therefore, care should be taken that, after this method of accelerating carbonisation, the beer does not shake at all.

I'm a little bit lazy today, so I didn't read all the posts, maybe someone already said it.

High flocculant yeast isn't the best for bottling.

I had problems with Nottingham, S-04 and now Voss Kveik. With those ones, after 2 weeks, I suggest shake the bottles, mind the yeats is on the bottom. That's usually wake it up. And don't let them at too cold places.

I'm a little bit lazy today, so I didn't read all the posts, maybe someone already said it.

High flocculant yeast isn't the best for bottling.

I had problems with Nottingham, S-04 and now Voss Kveik. With those ones, after 2 weeks, I suggest shake the bottles, mind the yeats is on the bottom. That's usually wake it up. And don't let them at too cold places.
You are saying S-04 and Voss Kveik are both high flocculant yeast? I had problem with S-04 of bottle conditionion, since it's mostly settle down on the bottom and gives you clear beer, but Voss Kveik yeast is floating in the beer and leaves you hazy beer.

Now that we've woken the thread up, @Miles_1111 did the bottles come out okay in the end?
Thanks for the following up!

I brewed three battches with a Voss Kveik, S-33 and S-04, bottle conditioning (2 - 2.2g/L of sugar) in room temperature (20degree C) for two weeks, the first two batchest carbonated well! But the S-04 still flat... I guess it is just too high flocculant. Now I put the bottles ( with S-04 ) bottoms up and give them another week in room temperature to see.

Thanks for the following up!

I brewed three battches with a Voss Kveik, S-33 and S-04, bottle conditioning (2 - 2.2g/L of sugar) in room temperature (20degree C) for two weeks, the first two batchest carbonated well! But the S-04 still flat... I guess it is just too high flocculant. Now I put the bottles ( with S-04 ) bottoms up and give them another week in room temperature to see.
It's better to shake them a bit once a day, otherwise the yeast will settle in the top part of the bottle and you will have it in your glass.

Last edited:
Back