Long mash time (to suit my availability)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnitty

Reaction score
I would like to brew next weekend but I'm going to be very busy. On Sunday I could start the mash around 12:30PM but I wouldn't be able to get back to it until around 4PM at which point I'll be free to mash out, sparge, and boil. Is there any problem with an extended mash? Will it start to sour in this three or so hour window?

I'm guessing you'll be fine, is it in a cooler or something insulated to keep it close to your target temp? Lots of people do an overnight mash for this reason, although I've yet to try it.

It'll take a lot longer than that to sour, you'll be fine in that regard.

As ultra_cas mentioned several folks around here do overnight mashes, dough in at night and boil in the morning. They report increased efficiency and increased attenuation, so you may want to raise the temp of your strike water a few degrees.

The mash will be in my fancy new SS Brewtech mash tun and it holds temp well. Pretty excited about mashing with this by the way. It has a sloped floor with a bottom drain, etched volume marking, and I've installed a Blichmann Brewvision thermometer that talks to my phone. So That's pretty much a $500 mash tun but don't tell my wife. I doubt the beer will be any better than I made using my $25 cooler but it looks badass!

i don't think the mash out will do anything because your mash temperature for that length of time will have denatured the enzymes.

In the past, I've done some overnight mashing. Dough in before bed around 10 p.m. and then sparge first thing in the morning around 6-7 a.m. Never had a problem. That's waaaaay longer than you are proposing.

Mash enzymes denature at temperture not time. Keep the initial temp below 154* and if or when it drops the B enzymes will start back up. It's like a reverse infusion mash, and I like doing this for Saisons, DIPA, and beers I want dry with malty backbones. Did a Kolsch once and it went too low.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back