London Porter Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradford0113

Reaction score
I found the following recipe in an older thread and it looks fairly easy for a beginner to try out. It's supposed to be a Fuller's London Porter clone. Anyone ever try this before? Any comments about how this recipe loooks? Any suggested changes?

=========================================================
Here's one from Beer Captured by Tess & Mark Szamatulksi.

Heat 1 gallon of water to 160 degrees & add

1 lb. British Crystal 55L
10 0z. British Chocolate Malt
4 oz. British Brown Malt

Remove the pot from the heat and steep at 150 degreees for 30 minutes.
Strain the grain water into brew pot. Sparge grains with 1 Gallon of 150 degree water.

Bring water to a boil, remove from heat and add.

6# M&F Light DME
6 oz. Malto Dextrin
2 oz. Fuggles at 4.2% AA

Add Water till total volume in brew pot is 2.5 gallons. Boil for 45 minutes then add.

1/4 oz. Fuggles (flavor Hop)
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Boil for 15 more minutes then chill for 20 minutes. Strain the wort into primary fermentor and top off with cold water to obtain 5-1/8 gallons. Once the wort temp is below 80 degrees, pitch the yeast.

1st choice: Wyeast 1968 London ESB

2nd choice: Wyeast 1028 London Ale

Ferment at 68-72 degrees for 7 days then rack to a secondary for 3 weeks.

Prime with 1-1/4 cup of M&F Extra Light DME that has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water.

Let prime at 70 degrees for aprox. 3 weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temp.
==========================================================

Looks to be worth a try for me. Just make sure that cold top off water you add has been boiled at some point first, and otherwise treated as your brewing water (run through a brita or whatever). Always get nervous about forgetting that!

Thanks. This will actually be my second brew, so I do have some experience with the brewing process. For the first, I used water from one of those filtering machines at the local grocery store. That first brew is still in the FV (two weeks now) and I'll be getting my first bottling experience pretty soon.

I brewed this on the 14th. It is still in the basement fermenting away. It looked and smelled good. It is definitely on the brown side of the porter spectrum, if that is what you are interested in brewing. I bought a 6-pack of the Fuller's to try before hand and it is a good standard no-frills porter.

I bought the kit at Maltose Express, which is owned by the authors of the book.

Back