London Ale Yeast - any tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So does anyone have any opinions/experiences with this yeast? London Ale - WLP013
Specifically: 1. I've heard it's finicky. Is this true? 2. How is this "oaky" flavor it's supposed to give? Do you get that at all out of it? 3. What's the best fermentation temps for this? Or what has worked for you? 4. Do you think this could take a 1.093 OG Imperial Milk/Oatmeal Stout with a pound of lactose down to 1.022?
I'm worried about this yeast stalling and I'm considering switching it out for some Irish Ale Yeast, but i've already bought it from the LHBS...so I'm trying to educate myself or gain courage.

I love this yeast in my dry stouts and I've never been able to pick up the oaky ester mentioned on White Labs' website.

I do not think you'll be able to get your FG down to 1.022; that's an apparent attenuation of 76%. I generally get around 70% at 66-68F.

You could try ramping up your temperature towards the end of fermentation but the spec sheet tops this yeast out at 75%.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It also makes an otherworldly awesome northern English brown. I don't get oak either but it really highlights the caramel/chocolate character in the brown.

Wow! Great feedback guys! This is just the kind if stuff I need to hear! Do you guys this it would work for a sweet stout or oatmeal stout? Or a combination of both? I've got an oxygenation kit and yeast nutrients to make sure it starts strong.

This is what I'm giving the yeast, if you have any feedback, thoughts or comments at all:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.37 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.088 SG
Estimated Color: 36.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.0 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.3 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (Briess) (1.4 SRM) Grain 3 6.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.1 %
4.0 oz Caramel Malt - 120L (Briess) (120.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.6 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (Briess) (300.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.6 %
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7 6.3 %
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 16.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 9 14.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 Hop 10 10.0 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -
1.0 pkg London Ale (White Labs #WLP013) [35.49 m Yeast 12 -
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 13 -
4.00 oz Cacao Nibs (Primary 2.0 weeks) Spice 14 -
1.00 Items Vanilla Beans (Primary 2.0 weeks) Spice 15 -
2.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 7.0 days) Flavor 16 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 16 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 21.95 qt of water at 162.0 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.40gal, 4.09gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
ADD LACTOSE AT 15 MINUTES IN THE BOIL

It's an Imperial Oatmeal Milk "stout" that celebrates everything my girlfriend and I love about beer, for our two year anniversary. She brews every batch with me!

I take the minimalist approach to my beers. I rarely add anything beyond barely, hops, water, and yeast. With that said, I personally would choose the oats or lactose. I also think you should choose between the cacao nibs, vanilla, or oak; not all three.

My tastes would say lactose and cacao nibs could create something similar to Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

But the beauty of this hobby is to do what you want and experiment. If you and your girl love all of those flavors, then go for it!

Hell, I think we'll go for it. I'm guessing it might end up with too much body, sweetness, or flavor in general, or it just won't attenuate right. But hey, it's worth a shot!

We'll post the results for future over-achievers haha.

Latest posts

Back