Lock for keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've converted my freezer into a keezer and have put a wooden collar on it. I had a bottle of Bailey's and another white chocolate liquer that grew legs and walked away. The keezer is stored in the garage.
Anybody have any good ideas for a locking system that will not be a big PIA for me to get in there and grab a beer also? I'd rather not do too much damage to the freezer itself. The way i put on my collar was put the hinges onto the collar so i wouldn't have to drill holes in the freezer.

Also want to make sure thief's can't unscrew a bracket to get in.

Thanks!

I can't think of a way to secure the freezer without it being a PIA to access. One alternative would be to make an effort to secure the garage itself or maybe install an alarm of some kind. Who drinks Bailey's anyway?

Awesome oregonparmaedic, but yeah out of the budget.
Spooner, good call will put up a pic.
Catt22, i think your last question might point to a potential thief on the inside of the garage. I hope not, perhaps i should be installing security cameras instead?
one thought i had, was to put an eye ring bolted in (bolt on inside) to the far left side of freezer and one on hte far right, then running a bike lock type cable across with a lock. still a PIA to get to though.

You could mount a deadbolt in your collar with a homemade strike plate inside the collar mounted to the keezer section. It would take a little work but could be done for cheap. The strike plate would just be a flat piece with a hole large enough for the bolt.

A thief would think nothing of destroying the freezer lid by prying it open to get at that Bailey's. It's been my experience that surveillance cameras are next to worthless in most cases. I once worked at a place that burglars would hit about once a month. They had multiple cameras installed. Got a lot of nice pictures of a bunch of guys wearing hoodies, casually cleaning out the place while some chatted on their cell phones. The police could never identify any of them from the videos.

I would just put the Bailey's on top of the freezer with a note requesting that the theif not damage any of my equipment. Maybe lace the Bailey's with a little anti-freeze.

How about a lock on the garage????

Or a Rottweiler in the garage????

A sawed off shotgun comes to mind, but that brings up other problems.

How about a lock on the garage????

Or a Rottweiler in the garage????

A sawed off shotgun comes to mind, but that brings up other problems.

Yes, the sawed off shotgun must meet the minimum barrel length/overall length regulations. Otherwise you could get in some big trouble with the law. Not to mention it makes a terrible mess when you blow a big hole through the bad guy. There would be guts and stuff splattered everywhere! Properly disposing of the carcass presents even more problems. It's best to borrow or rent a truck for that rather than using your own vehicle. Enterprise has good rates on pickups right now.

use a turn key power system to power some pneumatic or other powered hinge device?

Go to keezer -> insert/turn key -> push button -> get beer -> push button ->turn/remove key -> WINNING

I think there are 2 types of thieves. The first type are young people or people casually interested in grabbing a quick bottle of something to satisfy their curiosity. A simple lock might be sufficient to deter them.

The second type would be the more experienced "professional" thief, who probably wouldn't be deterred by anything that could be defeated with a crowbar and/or hammer.

A video system might also identify anyone who doesn't think far enough in advance to disguise themselves.

Perhaps a hot wire attached to the handle would be enough to give them second thoughts?? Not enough to hurt them, of course ;)

Thanks for the ideas. I think my thief is a young one and not your hardcore type. Could even live inside my house so the rotweiler won't help there. I like the magnet idea. Thanks!

set a bottle of Jeremiah weed ice tea flavored vodka on top of the keezer. but first put 6 bottles of visine in it.

when you see on the news about the 3 young males that died of a sudden heart attack the next block over, your worries will be over.

oh yeah, mind the fingerprints on the bottle and buy the visine at 3 different places with cash.

see, all done and u didnt have to butcher your keezer because of some low-life ****ing thieves.

I'm a little confused, are you in some sort of public garage? Or does it just not have a lock? Or was it your kids (if you have any) or someone who lives with you?

If someone broke into your garage, I'd be more concerned that they broke into your garage than them stealing a bottle of bailey's from the garage.

What about those high pitched door alarms. It won't prevent people from getting in there but it will alert you / frighten whom ever is opening it.

I picked one up the other day for like 10 bucks.

set a bottle of Jeremiah weed ice tea flavored vodka on top of the keezer. but first put 6 bottles of visine in it.

when you see on the news about the 3 young males that died of a sudden heart attack the next block over, your worries will be over.

oh yeah, mind the fingerprints on the bottle and buy the visine at 3 different places with cash.

see, all done and u didnt have to butcher your keezer because of some low-life ****ing thieves.

A little too much thought has gone into how to kill someone over a bottle of Bailey's... You're scary.

Cut a length of chain so that it can wrap around your Keezer tightly, and then lock it with a padlock?

Was your garage locked and broken into? If not, it sounds like your kids/roommates took the booze...

Cut a length of chain so that it can wrap around your Keezer tightly, and then lock it with a padlock?

Was your garage locked and broken into? If not, it sounds like your kids/roommates took the booze...

That was my thought. Get two lengths of chain and a padlock and lock it up on the top.

Having been a young hooligan once in my life I can tell you that such a thing would be enough of a deterrent. Toss a few webcams around for security and that should resolve the situation once and for all.

...or wipe the thing down and check it for fingerprints after the next incident. Go all CSI with it and have some fun. Don't forget your shades.

Yeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Back