Location for electric brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzombie

Reaction score
I currently have 2 possibilities for setting up my brewery, which will require a 240V dryer outlet. Since I'll have to wire the house for it, I'd like some opinions on where to locate it.

(1) Outdoor patio off the ground level (5 ft above ground). It's sheltered but if rain or snow is coming in a bit sideways the equipment could get a bit wet. I'm in Vancouver so there isn't much in the way of snow but rain is pretty common (omnipresent). I love brewing outside when the weather's nice but I'm not sure about keeping my whole setup out there year round. Even if I covered it when not in use, I wonder if certain components will expire faster outside so that I would probably want to be move some things indoors for storage. No need for any kind of fume hood though. The wiring will be more expensive since it's a lot further from the breaker panel.

(2) Garage. I have space in the garage, but would probably want to install a backsplash/hood for all the steam (there is no window other than the garage door itself). The breaker is right there so the wiring will be a bit cheaper. The garage gets cold in the winter, but I suppose I could run a space heater or something (although I imagine the many gallons of liquid give off a lot of heat so it may not be completely necessary). It would be drier than the patio, but definitely less of a place to hangout. The garage is pretty stark. There's more room there and I could leave everything there year-round, even install the planned fridge-fermentor/kegerators eventually.

(3) Sadly, I have no cozy indoor option. There is a pantry room in the ground-level basement, but it's too small for anything more than a couple beer fridges.

Where do you brew?

It sounds like you really would prefer the patio, but that you're worried about the rain. Why not just use a grill cover?

I'd personally opt for the garage, but either location has some exposure to the elements (humidity/heat/cold). If I had to choose for my electric control panels sake, the Garage would win hands down.

Plus, year round brewing would be nicer.

Mine is going to my garage in the coming months.

I am having my electric installed at the end of march and am making room in the garage over the next few weeks

You need a shed, lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

Garage. You can always open the garage door on nice days, and I bet the electric would be easier to run. Plus you could put in plumbing.

if you are setting it up now, I'd be more concerned about plumbing than electrical.

I'd love to have a utility sink in my garage, but that would take quite a bit of work to make happen, whereas a 220V outlet could be installed pretty easily.

My garage has a 220V 50A outlet wired in already. Pretty nice surprise, considering I never got to see the house until 3 months after I bought it.

I would go with the garage, if you place it near the door, you can always open the door up and enjoy the outdoors. while you brew, while still remaining warm and dry year round.

Back