Local Brewshops in Colorado Springs or south Denver?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdezeeuw

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first time poster here.

My friend and I have decided it is time to get into homebrewing. We live in Colorado Springs and are wondering if anyone has any experience with the homebrew shops here in town. I saw the Brew Hut up in Denver referenced while searching the forums but that is a bit of a drive. If we could stay local, that would be preferable.

Any thoughts from other locals?

Thanks and cheers. Looking forward to being a part of the homebrew community.

I don't know where anything is in CO but here are the LHBS listed on BYO

Beer and Wine at Home
Beer at Home
The Brew Hut
Hop To It Homebrew
Hops and Berries
Lil' Ole' Winemaker
Rocky Mountain Homebrew Supply
Stomp Them Grapes! LLC

All of them except for Lil' Ole' Winemaker has a website so you can search those online

I've been to Old West in CO Springs just east of Phantom Canyon Brewery on East Pike's Peak Ave.

It's okay as far as LHBS goes...

Thanks for the replies so far. I looked up Old West and they had a not-so-favorable review on their google places page, person said they aren't too friendly and seem annoyed with questions. As a first time home brewer I would hope to find a shop that is friendly and encouraging and doesn't mind all the silly noob questions we might have.

If we have to make the 1 hour drive up to The Brew Hut, so be it, just hoping to stay local.

Any additional insight from others is welcome.

That sounds about right with my couple of experiences there. They were helpful if you knew the right questions to ask, though.

I think the owner is more interested in the cigar shop that shares the building with the brew store.

Keep posting on HBT - we're good with helping with silly noob questions. :D :mug:

I've been in The Brew Hut before - looks like a great store, but no one asked if I needed help during the 30 minutes I was there. No biggy, I was actually killing time until their tap room next door opened to refill a couple growlers. Prices looked a little on the high side, but they have an emailer they send out with discounts.

Stomp them grapes was pretty good as well. The guy who helped me was friendly enough and steered me in the right direction.

But honestly, the best help I've ever gotten has been from the online stores via email correspondence (and of course the boards here). Being a noob myself, I wish I would have just started there in the 1st place. Plus, online stores such as Austin Home Brew and Northernbrewer have some great recipe kits to choose from to get you going. I think Northerbrewer even has a sale going on right now for 40% off their deluxe starter brewing kit. Between the online stores, and the online community here, the only time I find myself in the LHBS is to pick up whatever yeast I need.

I'm not against supporting my LHBS, but the online stores offer great kits and are willing to help you out...most times I get responses in less than 24 hours.

And you'll probably use more in gas driving up to South Denver and back as opposed to the flat rate shipping.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!
Phil

I live in Parker and Brew hut is 30 min. There are no really convenient LHBS in the Metro Denver area. if I had the investment capital I would put one in Castle Rock no further than a quarter mile off I-25. I'd probably clean up.

Austin Homebrew just as reasonable as Brew hut with flat rate shipping. Group order with your bud over 100.00 would get you free shipping, then your beating Brew Hut prices considerably.

I am in Monument and recently started brewing. I got my starter equipment and first extract kit from Midwest. Shipping seemed really high which made them comparable to some of the local shops.... They were really good about answering questions via email. I didn't get a yes/no type answer on any question... the yes/no was always followed up with an explanation. I ordered my 2nd and 3rd kits (at the same time) from Austin Home Brew. Prices were good, shipping was good, instructions on the kits are good.... and they have awesome support. So, to answer your question.... I don't have much input on the local shops. I would have preferred to go into a shop... but prices were way too high compared to what I found online.

Thanks for all the input and replies.

I think the smart thing to do at this point is order the supplies online. I have been browsing around northernbrewer and really like what I see.

This community rocks! Cheers.

It's a bit of a drive, but the Dry Dock brewery and Home brew shop is a pretty cool place. You can have a beer and browse the brew shop!!

Back