LME vs DME Question/Cost Savings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeiaMarcus

Reaction score
Pretty new to brewing, but into my 5th batch. I've been purchasing extract kits from NBrewer with successful outcomes. I spoke w/ my LHBS and they told me to just bring in the ingredient list from any kit and they could put it together for me. I did and it cost more :(
Is this normal?

I made a cream ale from NB for $31+$8shipping= $39. I took the ingredient list in and LHBS put a kit together for $41 total? I keg, so no priming sugar needed. Note*, my LHBS initially tried to give me DME vs LME, but I asked for the LME since my NB kit comes with LME. Would this have saved me money without sacrificing results? I didn't think to ask while I was there, but scratching my head on the way home, trying to figure out why a 5gal cream ale kit would cost $41 when it only has grains, 1 hop addition, 1 pack of yeast and 6lbs of LME.

Furthermore, I have a friend who lives in Michigan and his LHBS is putting kits together for him for roughly $25. He told me they always give him DME- he actually has never used LME. Is the price discrepancy from the LME vs DME?

Besides the cost issue/question, what are the significant differences or preferences between DME vs. LME? As stated, pretty new to this, but have dove in head first....4 taps installed on our home bar. Now just trying to keep up with demand. Trying to create some backstock.....

I've heard the DME lasts longer and is just as good as LME. Shipping all that water weight also drives up the price of LME.
However don't let hearsay dictate your moves. Try an otherwise identical couple batches of beer one using LME and one using DME and run a blind taste test. Then buy a BIAB bag and a 5G kettle and see how the All-grain batch compares. I would recommend a SMASH with M.O. and cascade in order to limit variables, and please send a bottle of each to me for judging and quality control.

For $2 I would support your LHBS. They won't be the best deal all the time, but helping them stay open will pay off when convenience matters.
If kept cool, dry, & dark I believe DME will have a better shelf life.

Well, I am completely confused by your LHBS and prices. Typically DME costs over $5 per pound while LME can cost less than $2 per pound ($1.88 / pound when buying a 33# jug). DME is essentially dried out LME, so DME gets more gravity points per pound than LME. With that said. they are not a 1 to 1 conversion but LME still comes out way ahead. The basic rule of thumb for conversion is 1 lb DME = 1.2 pound LME.

If you don't mind, post your ingredients with prices. I would have thought it should cost $20-$28 depending on yeast selection.

I've heard the DME lasts longer and is just as good as LME. Shipping all that water weight also drives up the price of LME.
However don't let hearsay dictate your moves. Try an otherwise identical couple batches of beer one using LME and one using DME and run a blind taste test. Then buy a BIAB bag and a 5G kettle and see how the All-grain batch compares. I would recommend a SMASH with M.O. and cascade in order to limit variables, and please send a bottle of each to me for judging and quality control.

Thanks for the reply...funny you mentioned taste tests. That's what I was planning/considering. I haven't ventured into BIAB or all-grain- yet. Still getting my feet wet with extract, but what I thought was initially a "hell no" is starting to peak my interest....all-grain. Still intimidating, but peaking an interest

Well, I am completely confused by your LHBS and prices. Typically DME costs over $5 per pound while LME can cost less than $2 per pound ($1.88 / pound when buying a 33# jug). DME is essentially dried out LME, so DME gets more gravity points per pound than LME. With that said. they are not a 1 to 1 conversion but LME still comes out way ahead. The basic rule of thumb for conversion is 1 lb DME = 1.2 pound LME.

If you don't mind, post your ingredients with prices. I would have thought it should cost $20-$28 depending on yeast selection.

That's kinda what I was thinking...I don't have the itemized price break down, but I do have the total, $41. Below is the ingredient list. Exceptions or substitutions are noted below*

KIT INVENTORY:
SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 0.75 lbs Gambrinus Honey Malt
- 0.25 lbs Belgian Biscuit

- 6 lbs Pilsen malt syrup*
- 1 oz Cluster (60 min)**
- Safale US-05 Ale Yeast

*The LME purchased was 3.3lb in a metal can....purchased 2 cans
** LHBS was out of Cluster, so they substituted Liberty and said it was basically the same.

Northern Brewer is also one of the largest suppliers in the country, big volumes, better pricing.

That's kinda what I was thinking...I don't have the itemized price break down, but I do have the total, $41. Below is the ingredient list. Exceptions or substitutions are noted below*

KIT INVENTORY:
SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 0.75 lbs Gambrinus Honey Malt
- 0.25 lbs Belgian Biscuit

- 6 lbs Pilsen malt syrup*
- 1 oz Cluster (60 min)**
- Safale US-05 Ale Yeast

*The LME purchased was 3.3lb in a metal can....purchased 2 cans
** LHBS was out of Cluster, so they substituted Liberty and said it was basically the same.

Yeah, I'm not seeing $41. My LHBS buys a 55 gal drum of LME and sells it by the pound. LME is also sold in 3.3# cans and 33# jugs (this is the cheapest but requires cold storage).

The per pound price of LME is $2.40 (from the bulk 55 gal drum). You have less than $2 in grains and ~$2 in hops. Your yeast is ~$3.

Adding that all up, your kit would cost me $21 (plus tax).

I found places on the internet that sells the 3.3# can of LME for $10. So that would increase the total to $27 (also need to add shipping). This gets close to NB's pricing. Maybe I'm lucky to live in a good homebrewing area, but I think your LHBS is way overcharging.

If you plan on brewing a lot in a short period of time, invest in a large jug of extract (33#). Store it in your kegerator. Then you only need to buy grains, hops, and yeast. This is what I did, and by the time the jug was empty, I made the move to All Grain.

Good luck and don't be afraid to shop around.

Alex Malt direct from California Concentrate Company:
$1/pound plus shipping, 60 pounds in a 5 gallon bucket.

Latest posts

Back