LME at end of boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I have been reading that most of you are adding your LME at the end of the boil.

1.So does that mean that most of the 60 minute boil is just water, hops and specialty grain?

2.At what time do you add the LME, then. 10 minutes left, 20?

3. Finally, what about DME? Do you boil that the whole 60 minutes?

Thanks all!

Based on what I read in Palmer's book, he recommends half of the LME go in at the start of the boil, and the other half at the end. I'm going to try that my next batch.

I take it a step further and only boil 1 lb of DME for 45 mins then add the rest of the DME and boil for 15 mins.

I've done variations of that too such as stopping the boil at 30 mins (while doubling the hops) and adding the DME and steep for 10 mins.

There's all kinds of way to skin a cat or brew beer.:D

I do the same as Homebrewer and boil 1 lb. of the DME with the steeped water and the hops and add the rest of the extract after 45 mins. It does seem to help with the hop utilization and the color doesn't seem to get as dark that way.

If I'm attempting to lighten the color of a beer, I'll do a Late Extract Addition but if it's a stout or porter I'll just toss all of the extract in at the beginning of the boil. I don't worry about hop utilization unless I'm looking for high IBUs.

Wild

Back