LME and DME in the same beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david58

Reaction score
I see lots of recipes with both LME and DME. How come? Is there a benefit to using both? So far I have just bought LME from my local shop.

There are a number of reasons to use one over the other - I prefer DME over LME for two reasons - DME tends to store better than LME, and DME does not have the same (negative) coloring effect that LME has (although LME over-coloration can be controlled by using the LME late in the boil).

If your recipe calls for 3.8 pounds of LME and the LME comes in a 3 pound can, what are you going to do with the other LME? How are your going to reseal the can? DME goes into a Ziplock bag really easily and kept dry it stores for a long time.

If your recipe calls for 3.8 pounds of LME and the LME comes in a 3 pound can, what are you going to do with the other LME? How are your going to reseal the can? DME goes into a Ziplock bag really easily and kept dry it stores for a long time.

Yes, that's why many recipes have both. It really doesn't matter which you use, but it's hard to get "odd" amounts of LME unless your homebrew store sells it in bulk, and can give you 5 pounds, for example. It comes in 3.3 pound cans, usually, if the store doesn't have the vats of it.

Fresh LME is fine to use, and it comes in more varieties than DME. Like Munich malt, for example. DME is easier to weigh and store, but it can clump.

my last batch called for 6.5-7 lbs of extract and my LHBS only had 3lb cans or 6lb cans. so I bought a 6lb can and 1lb of dme. still in primary but looks and smells great

my last batch called for 6.5-7 lbs of extract and my LHBS only had 3lb cans or 6lb cans. so I bought a 6lb can and 1lb of dme. still in primary but looks and smells great

DME and LME can be used interchangably, for the most part. But keep in mind that LME has water in it, so you need a little bit more than DME for the same amount of fermentables. Generally, 1.25 pounds LME = 1 pound DME. Not a problem at all for a one pound difference, but if your recipe calls for 7.5 pounds LME, you'd use 6 pounds DME.

I see - I guess I'm a sheltered brewer. My local brew store sells LME in bulk, so I could get pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Thanks, all, for an A to the noob's latest dumb Q.

Im brewing a batch of Munich helles right now and the kit came with 3.3 lbs of lme and 3.3 lbs of dme. Looks and smells pretty good to me

Back