little galaxy ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultrasuede

Reaction score
Hi peeps. I have been brewing lots of big IPAs lately, and I want to step into the realm of session ales. I have a oberon clone in the post atm, but I also want a session beer showcasing my favorite aussie hop, Galaxy. Works great in my IPAs but not sure about it in a little session. Anyone done this? Any tips ideas? It will be a simple SMASH with maris otter base.

I did a ~5% ABV wheat with 50/50 Galaxy and Summer hops. I used Wyeast's American Wheat yeast. It was a 10 gallon batch with 4 ounces of each split a 10 minutes and flameout. The dry hop was more diverse though with about an ounce each of several other NZ an Aussie hops. It was quite tasty.

I rarely use a single hop in anything hoppy and always go with a blend.

Schlafly T-IPA is a SMaSH beer that is 2-row and Galaxy.

A lot depends on what style you want to do and what abv your shooting for. I'd personally do a nice little session APA/IPA kinda thing. An OG around 1.035-1.040. 1/2oz of Galaxy FWH, 1/2oz @ 5-10 min, 1-2oz whirlpool/steep, + dry hop.

A neutral yeast like WLP001/US05, maybe mash around 152-154 to keep it from finishing really low.

Ages ago I did a batch for a friend's wedding. Finished, whirlpooled and dry hopped with galaxy. The grist was 80% Maris Otter, 15% Wheat Malt and 5% Light Munich. It worked out at 4.8% abv and disappeared without a trace. Tasty stuff. Can't remember the yeast but probably US05.

Latest posts

Back