Little Experiment, Thought Should Share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carloscede2

Reaction score
Well, it's been 3 weeks since I bottled my blonde ale. I used corona bottles for 40% of the batch and was wondering if any of them was skunked. I had never tried skunked so I thought I should start that way. I put one of the corona bottles outside so it would get direct sun. After 30 min, I put the beer in the fridge, chilled it and drank it. As soon as I opened the beer, it smelled like corona, kind of a weed like smell. The flavour? Exactly like a corono, I was really impressed by this discovery. I did the same with another one and put a lime in there, delicious! I found an easy drinking, refreshing summer beer.

PD: Ive used corona bottles for 50% of my batches and this is the first time I feel a flavour like that, meaning I had never skunked one

Well, it's been 3 weeks since I bottled my blonde ale. I used corona bottles for 40% of the batch and was wondering if any of them was skunked. I had never tried skunked so I thought I should start that way. I put one of the corona bottles outside so it would get direct sun. After 30 min, I put the beer in the fridge, chilled it and drank it. As soon as I opened the beer, it smelled like corona, kind of a weed like smell. The flavour? Exactly like a corono, I was really impressed by this discovery. I did the same with another one and put a lime in there, delicious! I found an easy drinking, refreshing summer beer.

PD: Ive used corona bottles for 50% of my batches and this is the first time I feel a flavour like that, meaning I had never skunked one

So you like nasty, corn syrup, light skunked beer???

Dos Equis and Negro Modelo I prefer more, but Corona can be alright.

But this is coming from a guy who loves Heineken too so take that for what it's worth.

I only drink corona when it is the special at an over priced bar. Bought a 6 of corona ponies so I'd have test bottles while priming. I visited Mexico City in the 70's and liked Carta Blanca at the time... Was in a brown bottle no skunk.:D

I remember reading somewhere that the breweries for Corona Light zaps the beer with UV light just prior to canning it, in order to replicate the god awful clear glass bottle skunk flavor and aroma that millions of people worldwide misinterpret as great beer.

There's a local bar I go to that has a "card", where they have 100 beers listed for you to drink, and once you get done with the card, you get your name on a plaque on the wall. Most are OK, but of course, there is "bartender's choice" which if they know you well, they'll screw you over; there's Bud Light in a 24oz can; some $15 bottle of cider; and of course stuff like Corona.

Last time I was there, I knocked of three or four beers, one being Corona because 1) it was on special, 2) it was near the end of a game we were watching there and 3) I was drunk (and not driving).

Total skunk, it smells like weed. It really does. Of course, it tastes like Corona, so it wasn't my fave, but I did get it crossed off of my card.

24oz BL can, that one is gonna be gross...

I had never tried skunked so I thought I should start that way. I put one of the corona bottles outside so it would get direct sun. After 30 min, I put the beer in the fridge, chilled it and drank it.
P

It can happen in 30 min?

It reaches critical skunk factor in like 5 minutes in a clear bottle on a sunny day.

Leave a glass of beer that isn't already lightstruck outside for a couple minutes, then taste it. The difference is pretty striking.

Has made me more aware of where I set my good beer when I'm hanging out in the backyard.

Back