List of newbie questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alwhite77

Reaction score
Quick backstory: I grew up in Western NY, where apple cider is everywhere this time of year. Hearing stories of folks talking about their hard ciders, hearing recipes, and so on. Now, 20 years later, with the money to invest in hobbies, I've chosen to try my hand at it myself.

I found several other websites, prior to this forum, an a book or two. All of those other sources say to add sugar prior to fermentation. I've done that.

After reading many other first timers questions, and the responses, I've come up with a list of questions that aren't really covered in the books, and websites that I've read.

First part would be some terminology:

Backsweetening?

Cold Crashing?

The next few questions, directly relate to home brews. In this case, Cider.

I have 3 gallons in a glass carboy, properly sanitized, with vodka filled airlock.

The sugar that I added pre-fermentation has settled to the bottom, How do I mix it back in? or should I leave it alone?

How will I know when it is the right time to bottle?

Will the cider sweeten/age to a better flavor? Before or after bottling?

I don't want a carbonated finished product, what do I have to do to prevent pressure build-up after bottling?

I appolagize for all of the questions. Perhaps I was not properly prepared to get started yet, however, the cider in Western Colorado is difficult to find, fresh, outside of the first week of October. It was now, or wait till next year.

You will find most of these answers in the stickies. Check those out, lots of good information in there.

For the sugar settling in your bottle, unless you did not properly mix the sugar in when you started, that is actually the yeast settling out of the liquid. This is quite normal and does not need to be mixed back in.

Back