liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoto

Reaction score
I have a belgian ale yeast wlp550 that says ." Best before date is 4 months after bottling." I wanted to brew tommorrow.Nov. 19. Yeast expires on the 21st . Is it still worthy of using ???

Bobby M recently did a test on year old stored yeast here; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/testing-limits-yeast-viability-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes. I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.

With any stored, old yeast you just need first to apply the "sniff test" if it smell bad, especially if it smells like week old gorilla poop in a diaper left on the side of the road in the heat of summer.

Then make a starter, and if it takes off you are fine. The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

If yeast can be grown from a tiny amount that has been encased in amber for 45 million years, 45 million year old yeast ferments amber ale we really don't need to sweat too much about yeast viability....

we just need to think in terms of making starters.

In other words, you'll be fine.

:mug:

Check the pitching rate calculator on MrMalty.com

If the yeast was produced on 7/21 then it is only 12% viable today. If you pitch only that nearly expired vial into your 5 gallon batch of beer your gonna have problems.

You need to grow a larger sample of yeast. You have 2 choices, one popular and one for people with limited brewing skills. People with my limited brewing skills buy new yeast and then use the fresh yeast to make a starter.

Check the pitching rate calculator on MrMalty.com

If the yeast was produced on 7/21 then it is only 12% viable today. If you pitch only that nearly expired vial into your 5 gallon batch of beer your gonna have problems.

You need to grow a larger sample of yeast. You have 2 choices, one popular and one for people with limited brewing skills. People with my limited brewing skills buy new yeast and then use the fresh yeast to make a starter.

Oh now come on
You can dump a vial of yeast into a 2 liters of starter wort cant you?
Once you do that you're re-pitching from slurry

If yeast can be grown from a tiny amount that has been encased in amber for 45 million years, 45 million year old yeast ferments amber ale we really don't need to sweat too much about yeast viability....

we just need to think in terms of making starters.

In other words, you'll be fine.

:mug:

That answered my post in another thread about Wyeast shelf life. Thanks Revvy.

p.s. anyone ever try that ancient amber ale? (hahaha)

Back