Liquid Yeast instead of dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msudawgs267

Reaction score
With my first batch I used a standard dry yeast and am now wanting to experiment with liquid yeast (White Labs WLP 005 for a British Ale). I know I need to do a starter to evaluate the health of the yeast (which is what I read). But I have no idea what that means. How do I test the yeast to make sure it is good to go?

The starter is to build up the cell count for proper pitching rate. It just has the added benefit of testing the validity of the yeast. So if your starter ferments then that lets you know that the yeast are not dead.

The best advice that I can offer you is to get a stir plate and a 2000ML flask if you plan on using liquid yeast on a regular basis. Takes all of the guess work out of making a starter and virtually guarantees you will produce a good batch of beer. Montanaandy

I'm no pro, but I follow the instructions on the White Labs bottle......leave it out while I boil wort and dump it in! My beer always turns out! Don't make it too complicated, its beer! If it doesn't bubble in a few days, go buy more.......

For mid to low gravity beers pouring the yeast in without a starter works ok. Check http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html for a better idea of what size starter is preferable.

When I used liquid without a starter I got good to awful beer. Never excellent. I highly recommend a starter or use Fermentis dry yeast, which I use mostly for ease of use and predictable results.

I strongly reject the notion that if it doesn't work in a few days go buy some more. That is a recipe for inferior or infected results. Why not nail it on the first try.

I have always used the Wyeast Activator "smack packs." I have always broken the inner nutrient pouch a couple of hours before pitching (no starter) and dump the contents of the pack in the fermentor post cooling and have never had a fermentation issue. Visible fermentation in 8-10 hours EVERY TIME. I don't picture that I would try it any other way.

Wyeast smack packs have worked well for me without a starter for small - mid gravity Ales (haven't tried white labs), but for bigger beers I usually pitch 2 packs or use dry. If your brewing a lager most defiantly need a starter if using liquid yeast. Anymore with modern packaging the quality of dry yeast is pretty good (what I have heard). So recently I've switched to using dry for most of my beers and use liquid where I need to use it to capture a specific style. That allows me to get better pitching rates and also saves a little $.

Just to be clear -- hitting a smack pack is NOT making a starter.

Pitching the proper amount of yeast is crucial for making great beer -- and making a starter to ensure proper cell counts is usually the best way to do that.

You can be satisfied with 'good enough' -- but why?

Back