Liquid side flow problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rzuck

Reaction score
I've got a pin lock keg that has been giving me troubles the last few times I've used it. I'm hoping someone has some ideas that will help me fix the issue.

Setup:
* Keg was carb'd and is being served at 12psi. I carb all of my beers using the "slow and steady" carb process (i.e. set the keg to serving pressure and wait a week).
* Kegerator is at ~42 F
* 8' of 3/16" Bev-tech liquid line to a Picnic Tap.
* The liquid side connector does not leak as far as I can tell.
* I have noticed that the liquid side dip tube seems to rattle a bit if I shake the keg.

The issue:
When I pour off of this keg, all of the liquid in the line is poured as I would expect, smoothly. Then there is a pause, hiccup, absence of beer flowing for about a 1 count while the tap handle is depressed. From this point on, the pour is excessively foamy and there is a very noticable ticking, slurping sound that comes from around the liquid connector. This sound is like you'd hear if you were trying to slurp the last bit of liquid from the bottom of cup at a high rate of speed.

What I've tried to do about it:
* Disassembled the liquid side looking for broken parts or o-rings. The valve body, poppet, poppet o-ring, spring, dip tube, dip tube o-ring all look OK to me.
* Swapped the liquid disconnect and hose assembly for a different one. Same problem.
* Mitch and bone and gripe and whine about it :) This doesn't help BTW.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I've got a pin lock keg that has been giving me troubles the last few times I've used it. I'm hoping someone has some ideas that will help me fix the issue.

Setup:
* Keg was carb'd and is being served at 12psi. I carb all of my beers using the "slow and steady" carb process (i.e. set the keg to serving pressure and wait a week).
* Kegerator is at ~42 F
* 8' of 3/16" Bev-tech liquid line to a Picnic Tap.
* The liquid side connector does not leak as far as I can tell.
* I have noticed that the liquid side dip tube seems to rattle a bit if I shake the keg.

The issue:
When I pour off of this keg, all of the liquid in the line is poured as I would expect, smoothly. Then there is a pause, hiccup, absence of beer flowing for about a 1 count while the tap handle is depressed. From this point on, the pour is excessively foamy and there is a very noticable ticking, slurping sound that comes from around the liquid connector. This sound is like you'd hear if you were trying to slurp the last bit of liquid from the bottom of cup at a high rate of speed.

What I've tried to do about it:
* Disassembled the liquid side looking for broken parts or o-rings. The valve body, poppet, poppet o-ring, spring, dip tube, dip tube o-ring all look OK to me.
* Swapped the liquid disconnect and hose assembly for a different one. Same problem.
* Mitch and bone and gripe and whine about it :) This doesn't help BTW.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Try lubing those o-rings. It does sound like something is stuck or sticking in the poppet, or the o-ring under the diptube is worn.

Man, that's a tough one. Have you had this problem with any other kegs? Just wondering if it could be an issue with your line between the tap and the keg or the picnic tap? Anyway, I'm subbed as I'm curious to see what the issue is.

Man, that's a tough one. Have you had this problem with any other kegs? Just wondering if it could be an issue with your line between the tap and the keg or the picnic tap? Anyway, I'm subbed as I'm curious to see what the issue is.

I've not had this problem with other kegs. I swapped the whole disconnect, line, and tap assembly for another one that just came off of a keg the poured great so I think the issue is within this keg itself.

I'll make sure to post the solution if/when I get there.

I've not had this problem with other kegs. I swapped the whole disconnect, line, and tap assembly for another one that just came off of a keg the poured great so I think the issue is within this keg itself.

I'll make sure to post the solution if/when I get there.

When you take off the post again, carefully inspect those o-rings and look at the "feet" of the poppit to make sure it's seated correctly. Hold the diptube up to the light and look through it, to make sure it's not occluded somewhere in there and then lube the o-rings. If you feel like posting photos, we can take a look as you do it and see if something sticks out to us.

It definitely sounds like a problem in the post, since another assembly does the same thing.

Sounds like the liquid diptube o-ring isn't sealing right. Take the diptube out and have a look.

OK, so I feel really dumb. I pulled the post off and checked the liquid side dip tube o-ring and found it to be completely hashed. I must have confused the keg that I checked before with this one. Any how, I changed the o-ring and all is well.

Thanks to all who chimed in.

OK, so I feel really dumb. I pulled the post off and checked the liquid side dip tube o-ring and found it to be completely hashed. I must have confused the keg that I checked before with this one. Any how, I changed the o-ring and all is well.

Thanks to all who chimed in.

Well, that was an easy fix. :D

Back