Liquid malt and hop extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeroyJenkins

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I tried searching but couldn't find an answer. I just bought everything to get started with home brewing and I'm pretty exited. I plan on using a recipe kit that should be arriving any time now, but my equipment came with a free can of Brewmaker IPA liquid malt and hop extract, and I have an extra carboy. It says on the can that I just heat it up and add sugar and yeast, and let it ferment. Will it turn out ok like that, or should I be adding hops and specialty grains like I will be with the other kits?

How much sugar does it recommend?

Generally kits produce decent starter beers,and don't need additions, but if it has too much sugar you might be disappointed. Of course all kits can be improved, but if you don't know what you are doing, you can also ruin it.

I guess my biggest recommendations ares to replace half the sugar with malt extract for more flavor, and get a decent yeast.

1 kg of dextrose. What kin of extract would you use and how much? Also what is a decent yeast to use?

Half a kilo of any unhopped light DME (dry malt extract) would suffice. If you use LME (liquid malt extract), increase the amount by a half, which in this case would be 750g.

As for yeast, I am more familiar with the liquid yeasts than the dry, and dry is probably the easier way to go for starting off. Of the dry yeasts, Nottingham, Windsor, SAFALE-S04, or SAFALE-S33 are good choices. Of the liquid yeasts, White Labs 023 (Burton Ale) would be a great choice, I think; their British Ale (005) would also do well.

Back