Line size question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAY_DEAD

Reaction score
So, I have a new dual body regulator coming tomorrow since my old regulator was giving me fits. I just realized the new one has 5/16" barbs, but I don't have enough 1/4" ID hose for both valves. I plan to use one side for serving, and the other to carbonate the beer "on deck." will it hurt anything to carb the on deck beer using some extra 3/16" line I have? Will 3/16" line even fit a 5/16" barb if soaked it hot water first? I've never tried. Thanks in advance for anyone's input! Cheers!

Unless you get ridiculously skinny tubing, diameter doesn't matter for CO2 - at least the way we're using it.

I don't know if you can get 3/16" ID over a 5/16" barb but I'd give it a try. I use 3/16" ID gas tubing over 1/4" barbs - which needed a hot air gun to work but the result is a gas-tight seal making the clamps simple insurance...

Cheers!

One more questuon: why is the norm to use 1/4" for gas and 3/16" for beer? Wouldn't it be easier to use 3/16" all around?

Back