Line size? Oetiker, Pex, Worm Clamps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcows

Reaction score
Over the last 10 years I’ve acquired a lot of kegging equipment. I have a kegerator, portable kegerator, direct dispense equipment. Honestly I couldn’t tell you what size lines I have on everything. Sometimes it was just use what I had.

It’s time to clean things up. It’s been a very long time since lines were cleaned or changed. I need a fresh start. My first question is what is the best beer line size to use? From what I’ve read over 10ft use 1/4 and under that 3/16. I do understand how to balance a system, most of my runs will be under 10 but I do keg root beer on occasion which requires a longer run. I’d like to use just one size of line so I can buy in bulk. Does gas line size matter or can I just use what I use for the beer?

In regards to clamps I currently use worm clamps but I really like the clean look of the Oetiker clamps. With that said my friend has a pex clamp tool I can use. Would that be a good choice? The advantage is I wouldn’t have to purchase the Oetiker tool.

I re-plumbed my kegerator last year. FWIW, I use 3/16" beer line, 5/16" gas line and Oetiker clamps. I went with Oetiker clamps because my fridge is fairly crowded, and those clamps seemed less likely to snag on something than the bulkier worm gear clamps. Besides, it was an excuse to buy tools. :cool:

I have 10' of beer line for each of three faucets. That seems to give me smooth, non-foamy pours, assuming appropriate carbonation. I've been considering going to individual secondary regulators. I currently have three different beers on tap, a Blonde Ale, a Dunkelweizen, and an Abbey Weizen. At 10-12 psi the Blonde is perfectly carbed, the Abbey is slightly under carbed and the Dunkelweizen is slightly over carbed. Style matters.

You definitely want to use Oetiker clamps. I have done installation and servicing on commercial soda and beer systems to over 20 years. They are the only clamp that seals the tubing properly. Worm clamps don't exert even pressure on the tubing and don't apply enough pressure to properly seal. A lot of people get away with them but Oetiker clamps are proper clamp for dispensing systems.
As for size, 3\16" liquid line seems to work best for me.
1\4" was like serving with a garden hose. I use the same diameter line for gas and liquid, but the gas line is a reinforced line rated for higher pressure.

You can use regular Harbor Freight pincer pliers for the oetiker clamps. No need for a special tool.

Use 3/16" beer line or better yet, look into using 5/16" OD / 0.20" ID Bev-Seal Ultra line. It has a PET lining, is ultra smooth, and takes on no beer flavor. It remains flavor neutral unlike any vinyl tubing. I use 19' per tap, coiled up.
Yes, you'll need MFL QDs and John Guest push-in adapters, it's hard to stretch over barbs.

Back