Line Off Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdtexas

Reaction score
I have never cleaned the lines on my cobra tap and most recent IPA tasted like an infection (horse or leather sweat). I almost dumped it but tried without the hose and it tasted good. Is this possible? What is best solution for the lines. Run boiling water through them or a sanitizing solution?

The lines need to soak in BLC solution contact time 30-45 min. Then flush with hot watered Star San let the lines stay filled with the foam until you need the "COBRA" again!

How often should the line be cleaned if everything is always sitting in the refrigerator?

I rinse my lines everytime I change a keg and clean them every couple of months.

That's what I was planning on doing too. Just clean the lines out when I empty and clean a keg.

Clean the lines frequently, but more than likely it's the tap itself that grows the bacteria. After serving from my taps I spray some StrarSan in them.

Clean the lines frequently, but more than likely it's the tap itself that grows the bacteria. After serving from my taps I spray some StrarSan in them.

+1. If you find anything growing, that is where it will be. I don't go that far though. I just clean them real well when I change kegs.

I used to just replace the lines after about 12 kegs went through them, and I used to remove and dismantle my perlicks for cleaning after each keg. I then decided to try cleaning in place, so I put together the draft line cleaner from a BYO article from 2004, it is a garden sprayer and a beer out post with some adaptors, is this similar to the new project in this months BYO?

I just made the project from the latest BYO. It's basically just a 2 liter bottle with a flare fitting for the beer line. It's OK but I think I'd rather keep a keg of BLC or PBW, a keg of water, and a keg of sanitizer, then push with CO2 for cleaning. The squeezing the bottle left a bit to be desired, but it works for now.

By the way, I'd never cleaned my lines or taps since I installed the first tap maybe six months ago. That one had some nasty looking, but sweet smelling, chunks of blackness in there. And I do spray up in there with iodophor after every pour.

Latest posts

Back