Line length/diameter "gas out" question????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duganderson

Reaction score
Someone was talking about the line they run from their soda keg. They said...."I run about 5 feet of braid reinforced 1/8 inch at 35 psi and it comes out great. Similar setup on my carbonator, just a longer line (about 10 feet). You have to dial it in. The 1/8 adds a lot of resistance so if you have to much it will gas out in the line."

What does it mean when they say it will "gas out" in the line?

Also, what are they talking about when they say they have a carbonator setup?

Thanks

Sounds like they're referencing a keg/kegerator set up but perhaps from somewhere other than the USA.

3/16" beer line is the general size for both gas and liquid lines. Length is determined by how cold the keg is kept and Vol of co2 desired

Many people experience foaming issues with lines that are 5' or less so many will go with 10' lines and serve at 10-12 psi at 38-40 F That's what I've read many times and personally that's my set up.

At 35 psi I wonder if whomever was doing the talking was referring to soda on tap and not beer. If that's the case one could easily make the case for 1/8" ID tubing on the liquid side...

Cheers!

Gas out in the line probably refers to the co2 coming out of solution as it passes through the beer line. Commonly known as a really foamy pour.

Sounds like they're referencing a keg/kegerator set up but perhaps from somewhere other than the USA.

3/16" beer line is the general size for both gas and liquid lines. Length is determined by how cold the keg is kept and Vol of co2 desired

Many people experience foaming issues with lines that are 5' or less so many will go with 10' lines and serve at 10-12 psi at 38-40 F That's what I've read many times and personally that's my set up.

+1. 10' of line at 38 with 10-12 psi or 15 psi on hefes works like a charm. I tried to use math to be exact, but this works better than math for me. :)

Yes, this person was serving soda which is why he was running at 35 psi. When I said "soda keg" I should have said a "soda keg" for soda.

He was running the narrow diameter line so he did not need to have a super long line.

Yes, this person was serving soda which is why he was running at 35 psi. When I said "soda keg" I should have said a "soda keg" for soda.

He was running the narrow diameter line so he did not need to have a super long line.

I have root beer on tap, sits at 38 under 30psi with 25' 1/8" beer line and serves quite well

Sent from the Commune

I have root beer on tap, sits at 38 under 30psi with 25' 1/8" beer line and serves quite well

Sent from the Commune

Wow. I'm surprised you would need 25' of 1/8 line. I would've thought 25' 3/8" line would have been sufficient as I run 15PSI through 10' of 3/8 without issues. I am assuming that it's not a linear change otherwise I would think you could get close to 40PSI without issues on 25' of 3/8 line.

Wow. I'm surprised you would need 25' of 1/8 line. I would've thought 25' 3/8" line would have been sufficient as I run 15PSI through 10' of 3/8 without issues. I am assuming that it's not a linear change otherwise I would think you could get close to 40PSI without issues on 25' of 3/8 line.

I like the root beer at 30psi, it needs the higher carbonation to counter the flavor and sweetness. It need the 25' of line or I get nothing but foam

Sent from the Commune

Latest posts

Back