Line cleaning option question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisendrath

Reaction score
Has anybody tried to make an adapter for the pressure hose of a garden sprayer that a beer-out ball-lock female connector will snap onto for the purpose of line cleaning?
:mug:

Never heard of such a thing (the OP), and consider it unnecessary too. I clean my beer lines at the same time that I clean the keg that just kicked. Process follows...

Remove empty keg from brew fridge (disconnect gas and beer QD's).
Rinse keg out with hot tap water 2-3 times or until looks clean.
Mix up 1-1.5 gallons of PBW in the keg with hot tap water. Pressurize and shake the living hell out of the keg.
Let rest ~10 minutes.
Connect to gas feed and to liquid ball lock that same keg was using.
Push 1-2 quarts of PBW under higher pressure (20-30psi) through beer line and faucet. Leave PBW solution in beer line to soak for ~10 minutes.
Drain keg and rinse completely.
Put about a gallon (no more than two) of water into keg and wait for beer line soak time to end.
Send clean water through beer line under high pressure to rinse PBW out.
Put 2-4 quarts of StarSan solution into keg (already on hand/mixed since I have a bucket mixed pretty much all the time), shake and pressurize keg.
Send 1-2 quarts of StarSan solution through beer line under normal pressure and leave in with solution in it.

I sometimes leave the StarSan in the keg, other times I'll drain it out and store the keg 'dry' until it's time to fill it again. I always leave it with some pressure in the keg (about 10psi).

When it's time to put beer on that tap (typically once I've sent the StarSan through the lines) I just pull from the tap until beer comes through, then discard the couple of ounces of StarSan/beer mix. Then it's time to start enjoying the next brew on tap. Total time to clean out the lines, and keg, is maybe 30-45 minutes, depending on how long I let each soak/rest last. You could go just a couple of minutes. I usually just let the soak/rest happen while I'm going to the next stage. If I don't think enough time has passed, I pull a pint of something that's still flowing and relax. :drunk:

I do have three faucets in the brew fridge door, and spots for four kegs. This means I have one keg carbonating while I'm able to drink from the other three. :rockin:

I've seen the differnt line cleaners, but not like the above linked one... Might have to look into making one of those later. Although, since I'm cleaning my keg anyways, I might just keep with my current method. I'm really just running the clean/sanitize solutions through the line before discarding.

Golddigie does the same thing I do, only for my beer lines I use BLC (Beer Line Cleaner), followed up with starsan. Every 6 months, I disassemble the faucets for a good cleaning as well. I tried using squeeze bottle, pump bottles, etc. It was messy. Yes, you may use a little CO2 but convenient and effective (cleaning out your keg AND your beer line).

I have enough CO2 on hand so that it's not really an issue. Worst case, I can use the paintball gun tanks. I'm actually about to get my original 5# CO2 tank refilled for the first time this week. Also getting the new 10# tank filled... That will put me to:
2 12oz paintball gun bottles
2 20oz paintball gun bottles
2 2.5# aluminum tanks
1 5# aluminum tank
1 10# aluminum tank
1 20# aluminum tank

I connected the new Taprite dual body regulator to the 20# tonight (arrived today). It was after I noticed how light the 5# tank was. I weighed it and it's only a few ounces over tare weight, so I figured might as well get it filled up while I'm doing the 10# tank... :D

Back