Limited Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer177

Reaction score
I live in an apartment with limited space. There's also no basement for cool fermenting. I' totally new to home brewing so my question is this. Are there small size or small capacity starter kits? Do any of the kits come with the malt, hops, and yeast included? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

I live in an apartment with limited space. There's also no basement for cool fermenting. I' totally new to home brewing so my question is this. Are there small size or small capacity starter kits? Do any of the kits come with the malt, hops, and yeast included? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

I live in a New York apartment (huge by NY standards but still small for anyone else) and I have used Brooklyn Brew Shop kits with success. Each kit comes with a bag of grain, a gallon fermenter with additional "hardware" and a baggie of hops and yeast as well as some sanitizer. Only other equiptment you need is a large soup pot, and a stirring spoon... perhaps a kitchen timer if you dont have one on your phone.

Highly suggested for us urbanites starting out.

Northern Brewer has 1 gal recipe kits too. Most home brew shops can scale the recipe down to 1 gallon. You just need to be firm that you want to brew beer and do not have room for 5 gallons.

Also look into buying a 3-gallon carboy (either glass or PET) and using that as your fermentor for 2.5 gallon batches. These days I'm preferring to do 3-gallon batches just so that I have more variety in my beer pipeline.

Also look into buying a 3-gallon carboy (either glass or PET) and using that as your fermentor for 2.5 gallon batches. These days I'm preferring to do 3-gallon batches just so that I have more variety in my beer pipeline.

I recently got a 3 gallon Better Bottle and have Apfelwein going in it. I dont know just how much space you have, but I have to say, the difference between a 1 and 3 gallon carboy spacewise wasnt huge.

Back