Lime Gose Souring Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotputman

Reaction score
Hey y'all trying to come up with a margarita inspired beer for SWMBO! There are many different opinions on how to sour this without bugs. My grain bill is as follows (5gal batch):

5 lbs Wheat
4 lbs Pils
1 lb Acid Malt

I plan on using lactic acid into the keg as well. Here are my questions:

1) Do I need to mash the Acid Malt after everything else? Wasn't planning on it, but read that the ph of the mash could get all messed up if done together (I don't have a ph meter to check)

2) How much lactic acid should I put in the keg. I have 88% lactic acid. I've ready anywhere from 1oz to 4oz for the 5 gallons?

Thoughts?

Hey y'all trying to come up with a margarita inspired beer for SWMBO! There are many different opinions on how to sour this without bugs. My grain bill is as follows (5gal batch):

5 lbs Wheat
4 lbs Pils
1 lb Acid Malt

I plan on using lactic acid into the keg as well. Here are my questions:

1) Do I need to mash the Acid Malt after everything else? Wasn't planning on it, but read that the ph of the mash could get all messed up if done together (I don't have a ph meter to check)

2) How much lactic acid should I put in the keg. I have 88% lactic acid. I've ready anywhere from 1oz to 4oz for the 5 gallons?

Thoughts?

PM me your email address. I have a word doc I made to do a Margarita Gose

Thanks Morrey for the info, will have to see if I can add any of that to adjust my current plan. Does anyone else have any thoughts about timing of mashing the aciduated malt or how much lactic acid to use?

From what I've read/heard you'd be best off mashing everything but acidulated malt for 45 min then adding acid malt for another 45 min so pH isn't to low initially for conversion. That being said the last brew I made was actually a gose just using acid malt (2lbs), no lacto, in a 5.5g batch, which was accidentally mashed with the total grain bill. It's just now being kegged and doesn't seem bad, maybe not quite sour enough, but it tasted like a gose to me. It may come out a little thin, time will tell

Latest posts

Back