Like a mushroom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drac0

Reaction score
I read all over that when fermenting you need to keep the fermenters somewhere dark.

My question is, just how dark? Does fermentation require total absence of light to prevent oxidization, or will keeping it out of direct sunlight do the same?

I don't have room in any closets and the only place I can keep my carboys is in the garage. The garage has a small window that doesn't get any direct light, but it's enough light to see in the garage without turning on a light. Is this adequate? Should I shroud my carboys in a black trash bag? Or will this little bit of light be ok?

Cover them with a black tshirt and keep them from prolonged exposure to sunlight and flourescent.

It's really mainly direct sunlight that can cause skunking. Oxidation is caused by oxygen. Black t-shirt method works well.

It's really mainly direct sunlight that can cause skunking. Oxidation is caused by oxygen. Black t-shirt method works well.

All forms of light will eventually cause skunk, both visable and ultraviolet light. They will however take different amounts of time to have the same effect.

Direct sunlight can begin to cause skunking in as little as 5 minutes.
Direct flourescent light around 4 hours.
Incandescent light 2 weeks
Indirect light probably several weeks depending on the intensity.

Be safe cover them with a thick towel or dark t-shirt.

+1, cover them with a t-shirt or the box the carboy came in. You want to essentially keep out the flourescent light and the sun.

P.S. I love the sig!

I would encourage you to cover them just for the heck of it, but I can say from first hand experience that when I first started brewing we left the carboy out in the dinning room unprotected. There was no direct sunlight hitting it, but the room was typically lit up by sunlight or kitchen lights. I never tasted any "skunk" or off flavors other then them being my very first brews. Nevertheless, now I keep them in a fairly dark area.

+1 on the shirt. I take a long sleeve sweatshirt and cover the carboy, then cross the arms around the neck. I also have a paper bag turned upside down with a hole cut in the bottom. It slips over the top of the carboy and the airlock pops through the hole. It's a 5 gallon so if you have a bigger one you might want to use a shirt. I would think the garbage bag would work fine as well.

Should I worry about light when fermenting in buckets for the primary fermentation? Does the bucket plastic block enough light or should it be the same standard, cover everything up?

I wouldn't worry about it in a bucket. Don't put it in direct sunlight, but other than that you're covered.

Back