Light yellow beer that hillbillie buddies love.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawai

Reaction score
Modified to use Local brands, From Beverage world Ft O Ga..
Turned out great, light blond, I bottled it in Corona bottles after shooting a keg with C02 and fast carbonating it. All these hillbillies around here think it is Corona.. it is better. My first All grain brew, I'll see if I can reproduce, bought the grain Sunday.

All grain PILSNER

Ingredients:

12 lb. Weyerman 2 Row Pilsner Grain CB3100A & B
0.5 lb. 10 L Briess Caramel Crystal Malt
0.5 lb. Malto Dextrine CB1750A
3 oz HopUnion Czech Saaz Hopps
1 tsp. Irish Moss
California Ale White Labs Liquid Yeast
Bottling carbonation, .75lbs corn sugar
1 cup boiled water to dissolve

Batch size = 6 gallons

Procedure:

1. Bring 3.25 to 3.5 gallons of water to 170 degrees. {Use 1 quart water per lb. to start wort.} Add grain. This will reduce temperature to about 120 to 130 degrees.

2. In another pot, bring 2.5 gallons of water to 170 degrees F for sparging.

3. Stir & slowly raise temperature to 143 to 147 degrees & hold for 30 minutes.

4. Raise temperature to 155 & hold for 30 minutes.

5. Finally, sparge with 170 F water & raise total volume to 6 gallons.

6. Add 1 oz. hopps & boil for 60 minutes. Add another 1 oz. & boil for 30 minutes. Add last 1 oz. of hopps & Irish Moss & boil for 15 minutes.

7. Cool in ice bath. Transfer to carboy. Pitch in yeast when temperature reaches 60 degrees.

8. Primary fermentation in carboy - 1 week at 55 to 65 degrees F.

9. Seconday fermentaion in cleaned carboy - 2 weeks at 45 to 55 degrees F. (at this point add 12 oz. corn sugar, 1 cup Domino cane sugar & 1/4 cup dark corn syrup to 3 cups of water and put 1/2 cup "harvested yeast" back into the cleaned carboy fermentor, replaced the bubble fermentor and will let it work out again.)

10. BOTTLE carbonation step, Heat 1 cup water & dissolve 0.75 lb corn sugar (for 5 gallons). Swirl into bottling bucket as you fill from carboy to fill buckets.

11. Bottle & rest for 4 weeks to build CO2.

Beer 006.jpg

Beer_ 004.jpg

Beer 004.jpg

Beer 008.jpg

Next batch I may delete the secondary additives. Thou this turned out the first time. This was a old "wine" trick I used to bump the alcohol.

I just lost a batch of Wheat beer modifying the secondary ferment. My (1) Carboy is loaded or I'd brew a new one today.

Awesome brother! Great pics and thread.

FWIW Corona SUCKS!!!lol. The hillbillies need a side by side taste test, I am CERTAIN that yours is at least 50X better than corona.

Sneak in a stout in corona bottles and you are the MAN!!;)

Is that a water heater element with open air connections bobbing in your brew kettle?

YES< it was a heater element I used to use in 5 gallon plastic buckets heating dye for aluminum anodizing. Tied into a GFCI, but still very unsafe. It was temporary before I cut a "permenant bung-hole" into the side of my kettle. It was tack welded to that angle there.

I highly discourage anyone to follow that idea, I can't remember the last time I was shocked, I worked for a few years as a lineman where "one will do ya". Where getting shocked blows your arms and legs off and turns you black. I can tell you "don't pee on a boom truck wheel in a switchyard thou". If it ain't grounded, it ain't safe.

That 1500 watt element was a loser, It would not heat the 7 gallons of water past 16o degrees, so I had to split that batch and move it to the stove in two stainless pots (and make a bigger mess)

Now I have this 4200 watt oven element reshaped to fit the kettle, no longer insulated with kitchen towels, now it has cerwool. It still needs to be on a GFCI breaker "just in case".

I still ride the Harley through Atlanta too, it's 80+ or slide.

Stainless cooker 002.jpg

Beer_ 001.jpg

Beer 041.jpg

Todays brew sheet,

Chinese "clone" Corona grain mill came in. $27 at the door.

7 gallons spring water put into kettle, heat to 120.
1:40pm add grain in bag, roll over to wet.
1:41pm adjust pid to 147 degr.
1:50 Hold 147 30 minutes
2:20 adjust to 155
2:25 hold 155 30 minutes
2:55 adjust to 170 (hot sparge) simulate.
3:00 remove grain bag, do iodine test, came out brown, not black with starches (AS PER OLD ALE JAY, Adventures in Homebrewing MI)
3:05 adjust to boil temp 205 (this sea level alt) Add 1st oz hops, Malto Dextrine.
3:17 at boil hold for 60 minutes.
3:30 checked yeast starter bottle, warm, foaming.
4:17 add 2nd 1 oz hops, drop in chiller coil to sterilize. boil 30 minutes
4:47 add 3rd 1 oz hops. boil 15 more minutes.
5:02 turn on chill coil, off heater coil, agitate with SS stirrer to chill.
5:35 drain to cleaned bucket to move to Carboy (under 5 gallons mark, add some tap water, about half gallon) , pitch yeast 70 degrees.
Install ferment trap, add Star-san to trap. tie in stopper with wire. Wrap with thick beach towel to block out light. Clean kettle, dump wash water, WALK AWAY.

Time for a cold beer.

Beer 065.jpg

Beer 066.jpg

Beer 067.jpg

Beer 068.jpg

Beer 069.jpg

HI.

Second run of this has not turned out as well as the first..

OKAY.. help me here.. the first run had a TOO SMALL heating element and would not achieve the temperature, was as slow as a overloaded diesel in too high of a gear accelerating.

THE second run was with a 4200 watt element that goes to a rolling boil in 15 minutes, fast in my book... so.. HOW TO DO the wonderful light beer again?

I think I need to dramatically "shorten" the cook times to be inline with other recipes here. ONLY other way I can see to reproduce it with "different equipment" is to hook up a computer and do a "heat graph line" where it follows a "heat curve" simulating the POS too small of a element... then.. the yeast.. the... ferment vessel temps, the.. other variables are off?? and unrecorded..

The one thing that really stuck out to me is..

Did you really use .75 lb of priming sugar? That is waaaaay to much and you have bombs on your hands.

HI..

I reworked this again. Put my cooker back together with a cheap japanese PID unit, the SSR, and a relay in a custom box on a "stalk" on the side of the kettle. Didn't have rubber cord, it is temped with romex (house wiring).

Today,
start with 6 gallons water
12lbs RAR 2 row
1lb 10l crystal
cracked grain in clone corona mill, put into bag.
7:35am 50c for 30 minutes, Raised temp
8:10am 68c for 30 minutes,
8:40 Iodine test, came out okay.
8:40 raised temp to 91, removed bag, put into bucket sparged. Removed grain bag, poured 1 can Coopers Canadian blond LME into bucket, dumped hot water on it, stirred, once it was all dissolved, I added 1lb light DME, 8oz Malto-dextrine, stirred, poured back into boil kettle.
9:00 Laughing boil going on.91c on pid. added 2oz Saaz hops in bag to kettle.
9:30 added 1 oz Saaz hops, put in chiller coil
9:45 added last 1oz Saaz hops.
10:00am off 22o to coil, turned on chill coil
10:10, topped boil kettle up to 11 gallons, checked temp.
10:11 gravity 1.030 in cool boil pot.
10:12 Poured white labs LYeast in 15 gallon fermenter, drained wort onto it. Inserted bubbler, got out Harley and rode to town..

CLONED YEAST. This yeast starter stuff.. does it make a difference? I saved two bottles and growed some, 2 cups water, 1 cup Light DME, boiled 10 minutes, split in two and cooled (I had two yeast strains to clone) Sterilized mason jars, poured yeast in, let set 24 hours.. about 3/4" yeast cake on bottom of both jars. THE dark prinz chocolate stout was bubbling like a old harley idling about 10 hours later.. Now it kinda sounds like a old thompson machine gun.. I don't really like to see it ferment that fast. I don't have temp control, it is 72 where it is in the basement.

I think this one is to my liking.. the other pid - pot heated up too fast.. There is nothing to do between adds of hops- ingredients.. need some loud rock and roll music in the brew - basement. I already have my keezer there.

There is very little boil off when you got the lid on the pot. I had real near 6 gallons at the end. I also shortened the boil time to "be more inline" with others recipes.. We'll see.. that first "great" brew was from a underpowered cooker that would not get to boil temp. I ended up cooking it on the stove in two pots.

EDIT: 7.24.13 Still a lil GREEN still but tastes wonderful. I can't wait on this one to ripen a bit. Color a lovely amber, FG 1.011 THE HBT supplied math brings that to around 5% abv. "feels good on the tongue" I've danced around the 15 gallon fermenting barrel in happiness. kinda wish it was full instead of 11 gallons..

Back