Light Yeast Aftertaste - Filtering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonmarg

Reaction score
So I've been brewing beer for around 7 years and I feel I have my system down pretty well. I haven't had a batch go bad in years, I have a forced carbonation system and a chest freezer to control temperature when fermenting and generally my beers turn out pretty good.

However, when comparing my beer to a commercial beer there is always a light yeast aftertaste which my friends won't notice unless I point it out to them but it really bugs me. Everything I can find online to deal with it is directed at new brewers who ferment at high temperatures or are drinking their beer a day after its finished fermenting.

I recently brewed a Hefeweizen which turned out well and tastes good but again, that light yeast aftertaste is there and I don't know how to get rid of it.

I usually ferment between 60-65 degrees to reduce esters / phenols, I leave my beers in the fermentor for 2 weeks and then transfer to a secondary for another 2+ weeks before force carbonating. Even after several months of chilling in my keg the flavor will still be there. I sanitize everything really well. As far as I can tell I'm doing everything reasonably well but that yeast flavor is always there...

I have tried numerous yeast strains and all of them have the same aftertaste there to pester me. I have been considering buying a filter in hopes that perhaps that flavor is just residual yeast hanging out in suspension and I could filter it out but I'm not really sure that would make a difference.

Anyone have any ideas for me here? Has anyone used a filter before and does it help remove random off-flavors?

Back