Light Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sconie

Reaction score
I posted this question in another thread, but it didn't get a reply so here it goes...

I left the door open to the closet containing my Carboy for the first day and a half. Light obstructed by blinds on a north facing window hit my carboy (with nothing covering it) through the crack between the door and the door frame. The light which lit up the room also hit it. I've since covered the carboy with a black t-shirt.

As I said before the churning inside the carboy subsided after a day.

Am I screwed?

The following picture shows the conditions as of 1900 ET with the black t-shirt.

1qv4.jpg

From what I have read, prolonged exposure to light is a bad thing but you should be ok. Unless someone has really had a bad problem and can tell you otherwise

gauthierk said:
From what I have read, prolonged exposure to light is a bad thing but you should be ok. Unless someone has really had a bad problem and can tell you otherwise

Thank you for the response.

I don't think that it'll be a problem. The best way to tell would be to smell/taste it while you're racking. if it smells skunky, it looks like you'll be buying a bunch of limes to drink this batch with.

You should be fine. That wasn't enough light to give you a problem.

I'm not sure if you're saying you think the reason it quit so early is the sunlight, that's definitely not what happened. So don't worry about that part.

The light has to be right from the sun, UV rays cant bounce off of walls as far as i rememer. So a little bit of direct sunlight shouldnt hurt it too badly. Maybe.

Back