Light exposure during the bottling process, and red light bulbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdFissionCure

Reaction score
I've been homebrewing for a little over two years now. I bottle, and that isn't likely to change due to living in an apartment. The lights in my kitchen are fluorescent, and I wondered whether this could damage my beer during the actual bottling process, due to having glass carboys and clear siphon tubing. I've searched around the internet for the past hour and couldn't really find much info whether beer can become lightstruck during the bottling process. I would think that the duration is long enough, because it generally takes me probably a good 10-20 minutes before I siphon all the beer into a bottling bucket. Although I have never noticed a skunking taste per se, would my beer likely taste better if I used a red light instead during bottling? It seems that red light is outside the nm range of light frequencies that potentially damage beer.

Thanks and cheers!

I'm OC enough that when I'm racking from carboys to kegs I put black t shirts on the carboys :)
If you bottle directly from a carboy I would think - assuming you're using brown bottles and cover the carboy for the duration - the exposure would be trivial. And if you use a bottling bucket and keep it covered, same should apply.
I don't think you need to actually "rig for red"...

Cheers!

Back