Light, Dry Beer Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterWan

Reaction score
I read a lot about beers like Saporro and Kirin, how they have their own special yeasts and that it is pretty much impossible for people to make something like this outside of a lab. Is this true? Are there any extract or partial mash recipies out there for light beer that is crisp and dry while having atleast a 4% ABV?

you're basically describing a lager, they require lager yeast and better temperature control than ales but its far from impossible.

Until you're ready to take the plunge into lagers (not a beginner's beer to manufacture, for sure), try a nice Kolsch. -closest you'll come in an ale.

those beers most likely have rice added as an adjunct. rice in the mash will dry out your beer without adding much flavor or body. +1 on the kolsch.

Or biermuncher's Cream of 3 Crops. I did a partial mash version of it; if you replace the US05 with Nottingham you might get it a bit drier. Mine was something like:

OG: 1.040
FG: 1.005
ABV: 4.2%
IBU: 13
Mash 90min @152F: 2 lb 6-row, 2 lb flaked corn, 8 oz minute rice
Then add: 2 lbs 2 oz Pilsen DME
1oz Saaz @60 mins
1 tsp rehydrated Irish Moss @15 mins
US-05 @65F or lower

Mine's on the left (I didn't use gelatin, which would help clear it). Miller Lite on the right. They actually look more similar in person than on camera:

SumnerH, does that recipe produce a Miller Lite style/flavor beer? It would be nice to have a recipe on hand, as that is the commercial beer of choice around our home and for friends that come by.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have made cream ales a couple times. I think I'm going to try a Kolsh. Also, I have a pilsner Lager conditioning in the cold garage. I just hope that it is cold enough. It was freezing here making the garage a great refrigerator, but it just started hitting the upper 60s last weekend. Either way, I'll get a lager or a steam beer, both good eh?

Back