Life sucks - No Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travion

Reaction score
I am fairly new to the kegging process and have not been succesful at all. I have kegged two or three kegs and all of them were flat. I just can't get them to carbonate.
I hadve tried the force carbonation, shaking the keg like crazy, letting stand for a few days etc method.

Then also adding 3/4 of priming sugar and letting stand for a week - nothing.
I have tried the gyle method using 10% of the wort, then adding to carbonate - No carbonation.

My final thought is to check the seals on the keg. I got the kegs second hand from someone. The one keg had pressure on it when I got it, so I assumed it was fine. After working on three batches my 5 pound CO2 tank is empty. So my thought is that I have a leak somewhere.
I will try to get the seals, then more CO2 and to go for it another time.

Do you have any advise ? Thanks a lot.

I appreciate it.

Well, if its holding pressure and you're filling it with CO2 is has to carbonate.

What psi are you setting to? At what temperature? Those are the most likely problems if there isn't a leak.

My thoughts are either its not holding pressure, or you're not setting the psi high enough. If you're already out of CO2 sounds like a pressure issue.

When I keg and force carb, I make sure its cold when I rack into the keg. Then I lay the keg on its side(with the CO2 inlet on top) and set my reg to about 15-25 psi and just start rolling the thing back and forth on the floor. You should hear CO2 flowing at a good rate. I do this for about 15-20 minutes(or until the flow slows), then I put about 25lbs into the keg and leave it in the fridge for at least a day before touching it. Usually comes out pretty good. But the longer you leave it hooked up and cold, the more carbed it should get.

I will hit the keg with 30 psi to seat the seals. I also check to make sure there are no leaks . I would think you have a leak somewhere. did you put new orings on the keg?

I use 1/3 cup of dextrose when kegging. Sometimes a little more, like a little less than 1/2 cup, depending on the style. After racking it over and adding the sugar, I seat the lid and pop about 20# of CO2 on it to make sure I don't have any seal issues. I close the bale and then let the keg age for 1 month before I tap it. When you naturally carb., after a week, you might get a little puff, but you're probably not going to notice much carb. With 3/4 of a cup (I think that's a little too much if you’re using dextrose) of sugar, if your yeast is alive, you should have plenty of carb. after a month. The fact that the keg was holding pressure means it probably will seal, try the popping it with CO2. I have forced carbed, but as a rule, I don't. After racking it over, let it cool down over night in the fridge. Use the carb chart and set your CO2 for the style and hook it up to the liquid out side. Rock the keg back and forth until the CO2 quits going into the liquid. Set your CO2 for the correct psi for your style and hook it up to the normal CO2 inlet. Put the keg back into the fridge. I like to let it sit like that for 3-4 days. You really have to check the seal on the cornys. The older ones are notorious for being harder to seal. Everyone does it a little differently but this way works for me and I've never had any issues. Luck - Dwain

Thanks everybody for the response. Here some answers to the questions:

I set the PSI to about 40. I chilled the keg down to fridge temp.

Unfortunately I did not replace the bigger O ring for the lid and I didn't replace the smaller ones for the in and out. I am planning to repalce them so Ihave ordered them

I also read that you can check for leaks with the soapy water. I'll make sure to do this.

If you went through a 5 pounder in 3 cornies, you definetly have a leak. Seal up the keg and hit it with 30 - 40psi to seal the lid, then do a leak test, go get a spray bottle and mix up a batch of soapy water. If necessary, replace the seals and do a leak test every time you seal up a keg. Make sure to check all of your quickconnects / fittings and hose connections.

When you are just starting out, you will need a week minimum to get a good carbonation level that you will be able to pour without an excess amount of head, and this is after force carbing.

O-rings
Keg lube
poppets
pressure relief valve

With old kegs the first three IMO are pretty much a must. I have had so many little incidents that I now routinely change out everything when I get a new old keg.

When keg is 40F or colder I set the psi to 30, bleed the CO2 3 times after filling and then leave it sit hooked up @ 30psi for 36-48 hours, no shaking, rolling just patience. The alternative if I have time is to set the lid @ 30 and then leave it hooked up at serving pressure for however long it takes to carb correctly.

Back