Life of Hops kept in Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
Last year I bought a few 1lb bags of the hops I use most often. I've always kept them in the freezer in their original pkg and double freezer bagged. How long should I be able to use these?

I usualy get a year out of mine, I store them in a freezer bag and then put them in a Ziplock vacum bag, pull the air out with the little pump that comes with them, and store them in the back of the freezer. I pull them out as I need them and then vacum the air out and throw them back in the freezer.

Packaged well, stored in the freezer, hops last a long time!
Check out the calculator here
http://www.brewerslair.com/index.php?p=brewhouse&d=calculators&id=cal16

I think a rule of thumb would be 5% loss per year, stored properly I would say a couple / few years easy, beyond that....add more hops.

Of course, fresher the better...but the degradation if stored properly is not that great.

I do the same as bikerbrewer. I have two year old EKG that I use in Milds mostly and they don't give me off or stale flavors... yet.

That's what I'm finding. DIPAs are lacking in the hop kick they should have. Looks like they are past their prime, like me
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I keep my hops vacuum sealed in my chest freezer. I have a lot of hops... Some from the 2011 harvest still.

I used some of the oldest ones in a brew on Sunday - still very aromatic and seem identical to when I bought them.

Bittering does fall a bit though.

Keep them sealed and frozen, either in vacuum bags or CO2 purged jars, they will last a lot longer than you might think.

If frozen, and vacuum sealed, they will last for years.

I have used them as old as 6 years old, with no loss of flavor or aroma noticed, but I generally try to use them up in 2 years if possible.

The AAUs are supposed to diminish, but that hasn't been my experience when well stored. I get them in the fall after the harvest, and vacuum seal them and store them at 0 degrees.

How are you guys vacuum sealing your hops?

I purchase hops in 1 lb packages that appear to be flushed and vacuum sealed. Once the bag is open, I just tightly roll the bag closed and seal it well with clips and sometimes put it in an additional bag, I then try and use it as soon as reasonable. I try and keep the lb packages unopened as long as I can, and try and only have several lbs open at a time.

I have often wondered if my lax hop storage was truly detrimental. I ran some numbers on the two calculators below

http://www.brewerslair.com/index.php?p=brewhouse&d=calculators&id=cal16

http://brewerslog.appspot.com/HopAlphaCalc

The three storage options given are shown below...with the predicted loss at 6 months /1 year for Cascade hops at an original Alpha content of 7%

Not sealed or sealed in poly bags 6.2 / 5.5%
Sealed in barrier packaging, airtight jars, but not free from oxygen 6.4 / 5.8%
Sealed in barrier packaging, airtight jars under vacuum 6.6 / 6.2 %

FWIW, I found this interesting that keeping your hops simply well wrapped and frozen appears to preserve them reasonably well compared to other more involved processes. I also ran some numbers storing the hops at ambient temps, and the degradation occurs much more rapidly. While vacuum sealing helps, and packaging "oxygen free" helps even more, it is not a night and day difference b/w simply wrapping well...of course YMMV.

Back