LHBS on Vancouver Island

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattech

Reaction score
Hello Brewers!

I recently moved from Manitoba to Vancouver Island, and am surprised by the lack of LHBSs here. There are wine supply stores, and u-brews, but no lhbs. Are they hiding?

I had thought that there would be quite a few brewers hiding on the Island, but I might be wrong. If you know of a store, please let me know. Bonus points if it's near Campbell River.

Thanks!

Agreed, that's quite the drive.

Welcome to Island Paradise! Campbell River is beautiful - I grew up just down the road in Comox. I now live in Victoria and pickings are slim here - two LHBS have closed in the last year, leaving only one. Things here tend to be overpriced and/or poor quality (e.g. hops stored too long with improper storage). I have a few suggestions, assuming you want to brew quite regularly. First, make friends with a local brewer - there are several in the Comox Valley - and they might be able to help you get grain at very reasonable prices (if you brew all grain?). This is how I get grain in Victoria. If not, the occasional trip to the mainland is decent way to get sacks of grain at OK prices (better than OK if you are willing to drive to Armstrong BC where Gambrinus Malting is - ~$25 for a 55 lb sack). If you brew with extract, the price of ordering online with shipping will likely be similar to what you would pay in an LHBS (at least in Victoria..), so no loss there. Second, the guys at Chilliwack Hop Farms (just outside of Vancouver on the mainland) are fantastic (!) if you are willing to order bulk hops. I teamed up with a couple of home brewers here and we put in the occasional order to them for various hops by the pound - ends up being WAY, WAY cheaper than a LHBS, even with the shipping charges. High end hops are usually no more than $20 CAD per pound. Their selection is much better than what is on their website so I recommend emailing if you have a special request (e.g. Denali or Exp 07270). We store the bulk hops vacuum sealed in freezers and they last a very long time. Third, I get my yeast from OBK, Everwood Ave or Toronto Brewing by internet. These I propagate pretty much indefinitely. Like other stuff, getting dried yeast shipped here ends up being a similar price to the yeast at the LHBS (I paid nearly $9 locally for 34/70 in an emergency situation). However, I suspect the super chill Comox Valley brewers would give you yeast as well if you asked. Finally, Island water is outstanding for brewing. It is pretty much as close to distilled as you can get out of a tap, though it tends to be treated with a bit of chloramine, so use campden tablets. Up Island has the occasional boil water advisory during spring run-off, so keep your eye out for that.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thanks for that! I was planning to talk to brewers once I'm settled and ready to brew, I hope that they're accommodating. Lucky for me that there are a few to choose from. They might even share some hops too. I have family in Chilliwack, so they might be willing to run errands for me. I'll brew a batch or two and see if I can taste the chloramine, and get a water report from the city when I get a minute.

Don't brew and "see if you can taste it". Campden tabs are literally pennies a batch and can save gallons of suboptimal beer. If you have an idea that there might be chloramine just use them.

I got in touch with the city water department, and they use UV and chlorine as needed. There are no chloramines involved. So I should be good to go there.

Chlorine still requires treatment, or you end up with the same problems. Again, campden is the easy way.

Back