LHBS in Wichita Kansas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansasbrew

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Wichita in a couple days and I wondered if there is more there than I know about. I once visited a place in Wichita that was small and seemed a bit... out of date on things. Any suggestions or is there only one game in town?

Only place I know of is What's Brewin.

Never been in there but I've heard alot of the same things so I just keep with the online orders :ban:

Only place I know of is What's Brewin.

Never been in there but I've heard alot of the same things so I just keep with the online orders :ban:

If you had a quality shop open in the Wichita area, would you and others be willing to go there vs. online?

I can only speak for myself but probably not unless I really liked the folks that ran the place or it was close to work/home.

I'm lazy :drunk:

Reason I chimed in on this thread is because my business partner and myself are looking to open one up near the downtown area. We will be in direct competition with "whats brewing", but from what I've heard, it's not the best place. We're just throwing out a line, and seeing what other peoples opinions are.

A little competition in Wichita would be good. I've been in What's Brewin' a couple times. Today I was in there to buy a case of 22oz bottles and some onestep. They had what I wanted so I was happy.

Reason I chimed in on this thread is because my business partner and myself are looking to open one up near the downtown area. We will be in direct competition with "whats brewing", but from what I've heard, it's not the best place. We're just throwing out a line, and seeing what other peoples opinions are.

That would be very cool! I get to Wichita once in a while and would travel more often if there was a good LHBS. To be fair, I did go to What's Brewin that next day and got most of what I needed. It could be worse, but better would be pretty easy to achieve.

I realize this thread is a bit old but I figure I'll throw my 2 cents in for anyone else that might come across it.

1st up, the only Homebrew store in Wichita that's strictly a homebrew store is "What's Brewin".

Adequate would be the gracious term for it. The store itself has most everything you'd need, but they don't really do anything to make it look like they care about the store. It looks like they paid their rent, moved in some shelves (or just used some that were abandoned in there), a refrigeration unit, and called it good. If they vacuum the carpet you can't tell. The front-most area of the store looks like some kind of overflow bottle storage. The staff are reasonably knowledgeable I believe, but they also seem vaguely disinterested in customers and there's usually at least one person surfing the net behind the counter that will be annoyed if anyone has to ask them a question.

The store reeks of apathy. It's like everyone there studied brewing for the job, but no one seems to actually enjoy it.

Now the Johnson's Greenhouse on west 13th Street has brewing supplies. They have a MUCH smaller area for it than What's Brewing and I haven't really gotten a chance to play "stump the staff" yet so I don't know how knowledgeable they are, but of course some of them know nothing because they're plant people, and at least one of the brewing guys was asking me advice about pitching yeast but I got the impression there was some other guy who wasn't in that day who was the expert.

Their selection is a bit narrower but they seem to have most everything, just a bit fewer of them. Some stuff they don't have, like glass carboys (that I could see) but they have lots of Better Bottles. I've only been there twice so the jury is still out on that.

Their store is clean, it's decorated, and it definitely looks like the owners and employees give a $#!+ about the business.

All that said, I would greatly welcome a real, respectable homebrew store here. Provided you can keep the prices even vaguely competitive with Midwest Supply I would entirely stop ordering online. To be perfectly honest a big part of the reason I still shop at Midwest is that even from several hundred miles away they make me feel more at home and more valued than the people at What's Brewing do. So the only time I set foot in What's Brewing was when I needed to buy something I didn't want to wait on shipping for (and the prices between the two, including shipping, are usually about the same and some things are much cheaper at Midwest even after I pay for shipping.)

Generally speaking I'm perfectly happy to pay a little more to walk into a store, talk to someone face to face if I have questions, and walk out with something that same day that I was able to look at, hold, and compare close-up with the various options. It's when something I can buy for $50 plus $12 shipping costs over $70 that I'm back at home on the computer buying stuff.

All that said, there's a chance I'll be moving to Manhattan shortly, in which case I would prefer a homebrew store open there. ;)

It would be a great addition to this town to have another option for homebrew supplies and equipment. What's brewing is usually more expensive for everything. They have a good selection, but it definately could be better. Also the staff is fairly knowledgeable, but were stumped when I started talking about a diffusion stone for aerating wort. When I told them about the concept, It was as though they had never heard of it. I haven't been to Johnson's garden supply yet to check out their selection, but another shop would be great, and the competition would benefit us all.

I'm from Manhattan and went to whats brewing once, can't say I was too impressed, they have stuff, but definitely doesn't seem like they care about their products at all.

+1 for a store in manhattan!!

I've been in there twice. Personally I would rather help out a local company before a big chain online store. It's hard to stick with that sometimes though. I bought all the ingredients for an extract kit and it cost me $55. Got home checked online and could of got it all for $25.

Still you got to support the little guy some. One day you might need something NOW and there won't be anyone.

Off topic a bit. Do they sell kegs or does anyone locally? I want to start kegging soon so I can build a keezer.

I drop off recycling every saturday @ the local centers, sometimes I can spot cornys in the Stainless Steel bin. They sell them for usually $1-2/pound, equates roughly to $9 per keg at the low end, maybe check at those types of places if you have them local!

I bought a corny keg from WB. It wasn't refurbished, yet, but she had co2 in it so it was holding pressure. $40. it wasnt a great deal but wasn't terrible either.

I agree on the comments about the storefront

Well what an old thread . but since I live in Wichita I think I will chime in . Been a few years since anyone posted here about going into Whats Brewin' so I will since I go there all the time and buy most all my supplies there .
Would be nice if they had a bigger fancy store for sure . I have never been in any other brew store but seen some online and they were nice . Perhaps it is a money thing . I would bet , after living in 1850 for 45 years , I mean Wichita , that there is just not enough business to warrant a larger store .
As near as I can tell I pay the same price there as I would for most things online since I pay no shipping . Hops are cheaper online if you buy enough I guess.
Staff is friendly to me but then maybe because I go in there a lot . The lady who owns it is helpful when I have questions about things .

Now then ... Any of you guys around the Wichita , South Central area still on here ? Want to trade a few beers ? I'd like to try some home brew from someone besides myself .

EDIT : Welcome to Kansas . Please set your watch back 50 years

Back