Level place for hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike20793

Reaction score
I'm in college. I live in a house that was built in mid 1970s. There isn't one level spot in the entire 3 bedroom house. I had a friend joke that if anyone passes out in the living room, they'll wake up at the front door...it's that bad. Needless to say, I packed up my samples and drove down the street to my buddy's. I need to move..

mike20793 said:
I'm in college. I live in a house that was built in mid 1970s. There isn't one level spot in the entire 3 bedroom house. I had a friend joke that if anyone passes out in the living room, they'll wake up at the front door...it's that bad. Needless to say, I packed up my samples and drove down the street to my buddy's. I need to move..

A refractometer might be cheaper than moving.

That's a good idea, but I graduate in May and will be moving ASAP. I will probably just keep taking the samples to my buddy's. It's getting him interested and he could be a convert.

Set sample on a piece of wood with a level as well. Make the wood level with the level and when level is level, the sample will be level. Just a thought.

It doesn't have to be perfectly level. The surface of the wort will be still be parallel and the hydrometer will suspend perpendicular to the surface. The only issue would be the cylinder you measure it in, which would mean you would need a wider one to prevent it from sticking to the side. Since you are still brewing in the house, you could just stick the sanitized hydrometer directly in the fermenter. Total cost? $0

It doesn't have to be perfectly level. The surface of the wort will be still be parallel and the hydrometer will suspend perpendicular to the surface. The only issue would be the cylinder you measure it in, which would mean you would need a wider one to prevent it from sticking to the side. Since you are still brewing in the house, you could just stick the sanitized hydrometer directly in the fermenter. Total cost? $0

Exactly!
They must not teach that in school anymore.:D

Back