Letting 2 overcarbed kegs go flat, mix them, then add bottling sugar and bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed 10gal of this bourbon oak aged imperial stout and did half on cherries and half w/ vanilla bean. At a tasting where I had brought both, we tried mixing them and everyone agreed it was even better mixed.

I had planned to keg carb with co2 and then bottle it all to age, but the carb is too high for the counter-pressure filler. I now find myself tempted to hurry up and drink both half-kegs to move on to something else but then I will not get a chance to see how this recipe ages.

Would it be crazy to let off the pressure of both kegs, sanitize an ez siphon and transfer one into the other (being careful not to oxygenate), then boil bottling sugar, transfer to bottling bucket, and bottle the mixed 5gal? Will the yeast still be viable enough to carbonate?
Is it worth the risks to create the mix I want with the age I intended? Thoughts?

drink half of each, then transfer one keg to the other with CO2. Attach Beer out of one to CO2 in on the other (add long dip tube to this port) Open PRV on keg you're transferring too, apply Co2 to to Co post on keg you're transferring from with just enough pressure to push. 2-3 psi. No oxygen introduced.

Or just turn your CO2 down, and vent the kegs several times each day until levels settle down to where you can use the bottle filler.

Is it bad to transfer beer out keg1 to beer out keg2? Wondering if filling from the bottom will be more stable.

Either way, I think doing it enclosed is a solid idea. Thanks!

Im cooling them both in the kegerator now so they will be the same temp.

I've done that only once but it's been mentioned here before. Just connect beer line between both OUT QDs and put gas on the full keg (at about 3psi). Keep the relief valve open on the empty keg and the beer will transfer. It's very easy. I would do that before syphoning carb'ed beer.

Is it bad to transfer beer out keg1 to beer out keg2? Wondering if filling from the bottom will be more stable.

Either way, I think doing it enclosed is a solid idea. Thanks!

Im cooling them both in the kegerator now so they will be the same temp.

When I transfer beer from keg to keg, I make a "jumper cable" out of two black quick disconnects and a few feet of beerline.

They go on the "out" posts of both kegs.

What I do is purge the receiving keg with co2, and then turn the gas down to 2 psi on the original keg. Hook the first black QD up to the original keg and then purge the receiving keg again, and hook up the other black QD. The beer should start to flow. Keep pulling the pressure relief valve as the new keg fills.

You can then let the keg sit, or chill the beer and bottle it. If it's still overcarbed, just pull the pressure relief valve until it isn't, and then chill and use the bottle filler.

Back