Let's talk upgrades!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechard

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Let's say I have $150 and want to upgrade some gear. What do you recommend I focus on?

I currently do 5 Gallon batches on the following:

5 Gallon SS Brewpot
6 Gallon Bucket
6 Gallon Bucket with Bottling Spigot
5 Gallon Better Bottle
Wing Bottle Capper
Auto-siphon + Bottling Adapter
Airlocks
Wine Thief
Hydrometer
Thermometer (Long stem dial style)

I'd like to get into AG if possible, but would need to buy a burner, bigger pot, and cooler mash-tun which would probably put me way over the top.

I do enjoy Partial Grain brews, as I've been modifying Extract recipies to end up around 5-6 lbs of grain total. My last Pale Ale was a 6lb grain bill in my 5 Gallon pot as a Partial.

Suggestions? Should I just start picking up parts to get towards AG? Wort Chiller perhaps? My 5 Gallon batches take me 25 mins to cool from boil to 80F (Where I top up with room temp water to hit 70F or so.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

You could get a good 11 gallon SS pot with a SS basket for $100.00 to do BIAB All-Grain, then use the extra $50.00 to get a burner:

http://www.electronicsshowplace.com/stockpot-p-242526.html

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Once you have the $$$, it'll take about $50-60 put a bulkhead, ball valve, and barb on there. I did the same thing about a month ago with a three-piece ball valve, step bit, and silicone tubing for $55.00. Would be right at $50.00 with a two-piece ball valve:

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=167

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=step bit&category_id=0&product_id=99

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=122

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely get a chiller. By cooling down faster, the quality of the beer I was making got significantly better. And you will need it anyway when doing full boils.

Tough call between chiller and bigger pot, so do both. DIY wort chiller and check out some local restaurant supply stores to try and find a BIG pot.

+1 on moving up to a larger brew kettle/chiller combo.

Not only might you be able to consider BIAB and get into AG that way, but you may see an improvement in your extract beers by doing a full boil, particular for styles that are lighter in color.

How is this?

Adventures is a 20 minute drive for me from Canada..

One Weld 9 Gallon Pot

That with the brass ball valve, and the 3/8" x 30' wort chiller is exactly $150

Or should I just make my own wort chiller? Home Depot sells 3/8" copper in 25' lengths for $18. The 50' length was $35 I believe.

Is this a good deal for a 9 Gallon pot with one weld?

*Edit*

Actually, If I go AG, I won't need this weld right away, as I'd probably get a cooler-tun. Its $59.99 for the same pot without the weld. Is this the better choice?

Get the pot with the valve and the chiller. You can do full boils or BIAB then get the mash tun later, or you could build one. Don't you have an old cooler in the garage?

Edit: I agree with brettwasbtd, If you don't have fermentation temp control it should be priority #1.

+1 fermentation control. Ive started doing rudimentary control using ice and just saw a HUGE difference in the quality.

Also +1 on the temp control. My brews experienced a significant jump in quality after I got one of those Ranco digital temp controllers.

Temp control can be done pretty cheap via storage container, t-shirt, ice, and time. I'd say bigger kettle and propane burner. If you have any money left over definitely go for a chiller.

For $150, you should be able to find a 40 quart pot an Amazon, an Immersion chiiler and an Ebay aquarium temp comtroller. This will get you close to AG as you will only need a burner and cooler for MT. You could probably find a descent turkey fryer kit with a big enough pot instead of just buyng the pot and then you will only need a MT. :mug:

How is this?

Adventures is a 20 minute drive for me from Canada..

One Weld 9 Gallon Pot

That with the brass ball valve, and the 3/8" x 30' wort chiller is exactly $150

Or should I just make my own wort chiller? Home Depot sells 3/8" copper in 25' lengths for $18. The 50' length was $35 I believe.

Is this a good deal for a 9 Gallon pot with one weld?

*Edit*

Actually, If I go AG, I won't need this weld right away, as I'd probably get a cooler-tun. Its $59.99 for the same pot without the weld. Is this the better choice?

I haven't personally used this pot, but it's gotten good reviews from fellow brewers. I'd spend the extra $ for the weld, it's worth it in the long run.

You might also look at some of the turkey fryer combos that come with a pot and burner. Just be sure it's at least a 32 quart pot.

I agree on the comments about a chiller and temp control. Before spending the money to go all grain, you could improve your beer markedly by doing full boils, chilling quickly and then temp control for your fermentation.

I'm not sure about the temperature controller, as in the 80-95F heat, my basement (where I ferment) stays within two degrees (66F to 68F) and in the winter, stayed around 64-66. I've never had an issue with temperature.

Based on the feedback, I do believe I will grab the 9 Gallon with single weld, with the ball valve, and spend the rest on a chiller (I can borrow a burner, as the burner's owner can borrow my chiller too).

Thanks guys, your suggestions really helped. Still feeling like a fish out of water with the AG, but at least my last two brews were partials.

Latest posts

Back