Lets talk commercial air travel safety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
and why my fear of flying is irrational. I have to fly 10-11 hours to Greece on Sunday and I really don't like flying. I am able to control myself to avoid actual panic, but I'm still pretty nervous. I fly about 1-2 times per year but I've never flown farther than 4 hours. I don't like being "stuck" on the plane and I don't like turbulence. Why should I relax and enjoy myself? We're flying first class so I'm hoping to just sleep for most of the flight. Please save any negative stories for after my trip!

You should relax because you are going to Greece. Greece has hot women right? Just tank up on booze and Benadryl and enjoy the flight.

I'm with you my man. I hate flying. Didn't mind it when I first started, but now I hate it. And I do it 30-40 times a year. And I'm extremely claustrophobic.

I look at it this way: I know a guy who is a flight attendant and he's taken more than 1,500 flights, most of them trans-Atlantic. Never had an emergency of any sort.

Plus, if something happens, what can you do about it?

At least you'll be in good company. I am very claustrophobic on planes, especially since at 6'4", my knees don't fit behind the seat of the person in front of me. At least you're flying first class. As for emergencies, it's driving you should worry about, it's dangerous! Flying is very safe.

Flying across the big pond east usually is night travel so typcally turbulences aren't as active in the eve. Plus it makes it easier to fall asleep since it'll be dark (I'm assuming this is the case for you).

Plus you have something to look forward to. The beaches are topless. But with that comes the hot little euro girl AND her grandma. Oh, and bring your speedo. :eek:

I'm interested in the statistics. It helps to remind myself that attendants and pilots fly every week more than once in one day. I just wish it wasn't even an issue, the way that driving isn't an issue for me (and its not as safe!)...

It doesn't really bother me because every single day, thousands and thousands of flights take place, and rarely do you ever hear of an accident.

Your a lot better off flying than driving to work every day, I'm with you on not liking the whole being cooped up thing though, I can't sleep on planes and I've made two trips across the pond, needless to say I didn't like it much.

Flying across the big pond east usually is night travel so typcally turbulences aren't as active in the eve. Plus it makes it easier to fall asleep since it'll be dark (I'm assuming this is the case for you).

Plus you have something to look forward to. The beaches are topless. But with that comes the hot little euro girl AND her grandma. Oh, and bring your speedo. :eek:

Glad to hear night travel is calmer, I didn't realize that. I don't know if we'll be able to hit the beaches since it will be Autumn, but I know I'm not going anywhere near Speedos...:D

I get a little nervous before the flight but after it is underway I calm down. You could make sure that you are really tired and need some sleep so that you could actually sleep on the plane. Flying 1st class will help a lot as there is a good amount of room to stretch out.

Soulive,
I'm not a fan of flying either. When are you going? If you have a general practice physician you see for check-ups etc there is absolutely nothing wrong in asking for some Xanax for the anxiety. If you got time you can take one before you actually are on the plane to see how it does for you.

Glad to hear night travel is calmer, I didn't realize that. I don't know if we'll be able to hit the beaches since it will be Autumn, but I know I'm not going anywhere near Speedos...:D

My experience (8 times or so) is it's always seems much calmer going over oceans even during the day. Your not getting heat/cooling affect from the ground which in turn creates wind currents going up/down generating turbulence.

I don't fly all that much, probably 8 times a year for biz and another 2 for pleasure. I've been on flights where the slightest air bump puts the passenger next to me into a fit of terror. My heart rate has NEVER climbed more than 2 bpm on any flight I've ever taken. I wonder what the psychological difference is between me and people that are terrified to fly. Maybe it's because I've held the controls of a small plane as a teenager. Not sure.

Statistics? The odds of a crash are so low that it might as well not exist as a possibility.

Right now there are at least 5,000 commercial flights in the air over the U.S. alone and about 87,000 per day. I can't find the worldwide figure at the moment.

Put this in perspective a bit. If ONE flight crashed per day, it would STILL be the safest way to travel. It's even more impressive if you compare it to other forms of transportation that cover the same distances you'd like to travel.

I get a little nervous before the flight but after it is underway I calm down. You could make sure that you are really tired and need some sleep so that you could actually sleep on the plane. Flying 1st class will help a lot as there is a good amount of room to stretch out.

I plan on not sleeping much the night before so I am tired. I'd love to sleep 90% of the flight...

Soulive,
I'm not a fan of flying either. When are you going? If you have a general practice physician you see for check-ups etc there is absolutely nothing wrong in asking for some Xanax for the anxiety. If you got time you can take one before you actually are on the plane to see how it does for you.

I'm going on Sunday and I am way ahead of ya. I have Klonopin to take before we go. It is actually more effective than Xanax...

My experience (8 times or so) is it's always seems much calmer going over oceans even during the day. Your not getting heat/cooling affect from the ground which in turn creates wind currents going up/down generating turbulence.

That makes sense and I wouldn't have thought of it. I can understand temps being more stable over the water...

I don't fly all that much, probably 8 times a year for biz and another 2 for pleasure. I've been on flights where the slightest air bump puts the passenger next to me into a fit of terror. My heart rate has NEVER climbed more than 2 bpm on any flight I've ever taken. I wonder what the psychological difference is between me and people that are terrified to fly. Maybe it's because I've held the controls of a small plane as a teenager. Not sure.

Statistics? The odds of a crash are so low that it might as well not exist as a possibility.

Right now there are at least 5,000 commercial flights in the air over the U.S. alone and about 87,000 per day. I can't find the worldwide figure at the moment.

Put this in perspective a bit. If ONE flight crashed per day, it would STILL be the safest way to travel. It's even more impressive if you compare it to other forms of transportation that cover the same distances you'd like to travel.

Great info Bobby, thanks for posting. You travel much more than I do so its good to hear you're not bothered by it. 87,000 per day is staggering and that adds some perspective to my fear. I'm aware it is irrational, that's why I don't accept it and try to fight it...

What airlines are you using?

The flights out of and into the US are both Continental. Going from Athens to Santorini and back is Aegean Air. All commercial jets, no commuters or anything small. Somehow I always end up flying Continental...

That's even better odds than successfully navigating an asteroid field, which are approximately 3720 to 1.

I travel by air all the time. Trust me I hate it as bad as you do. Maybe even worse.

This time of year you aren't subject to all the weather delays. Winter travel really, really sucks. I hate white run-ways.

I've probably logged (just a guess) 5 million miles in airplanes, never had a seconds trouble, & never been in first class other than to board, and I'm fine. I've driven about 300K miles in my personal trucks & have had 2 accidents.

I'm with yuh. I hate flying. Really hate flying. I mean really.
Thank goodness for all the decent bars in airports, I can't take the Rx stuf with my job.

Security is another issue, as I deal with explosives alot. That can be a whole other ballgame when you set off the sniffers.... My tickets are always bought at the last minute for a one-way flight with somebody else's credit card... what a hassle.

You'll be fine. Those topless beaches are something to be-hold.

cheers,
Zac

If you're flying first/business class internationally, relax and enjoy it. The level of service, food, and wine will be really good, if not great.

Keep in mind every system on a commercial airliner has at least one backup, and the amount of regular and preventative maintenance they receive is impressive to say the least.

I've found that being so tired you can hardly stand up is a great way to fly. This is why I will be working in Louisville on Friday night until about 2 a.m. Saturday and then flying home Saturday at 6 a.m.

I travel by air all the time. Trust me I hate it as bad as you do. Maybe even worse.

This time of year you aren't subject to all the weather delays. Winter travel really, really sucks. I hate white run-ways.

I've probably logged (just a guess) 5 million miles in airplanes, never had a seconds trouble, & never been in first class other than to board, and I'm fine. I've driven about 300K miles in my personal trucks & have had 2 accidents.

I'm with yuh. I hate flying. Really hate flying. I mean really.
Thank goodness for all the decent bars in airports, I can't take the Rx stuf with my job.

Security is another issue, as I deal with explosives alot. That can be a whole other ballgame when you set off the sniffers.... My tickets are always bought at the last minute for a one-way flight with somebody else's credit card... what a hassle.

You'll be fine. Those topless beaches are something to be-hold.

cheers,
Zac

Wow, those are a lot of miles for someone who doesn't like flying. Glad to hear you get through it...

I've found that being so tired you can hardly stand up is a great way to fly. This is why I will be working in Louisville on Friday night until about 2 a.m. Saturday and then flying home Saturday at 6 a.m.

I plan on being tired, believe me. The flight is 10 hours and I'd love to be asleep for about 9 of them!

I dont have a stat for you, but considering your longest flight was 4 hours, I would have to assume you have never flown internationally. Typically international flights are much, much smoother. Someone once told me this is true because on long flights they fly higher than normal flights. I dont know if that is actually the reason or not, but I do know that on the international flights I have taken, I have never experienced any turbulence.

Also, they are typically nicer planes. Sometimes they have little TV's on the back of the seat in front of you that you can watch TV/movies on, play games etc.

I dont have a stat for you, but considering your longest flight was 4 hours, I would have to assume you have never flown internationally. Typically international flights are much, much smoother. Someone once told me this is true because on long flights they fly higher than normal flights. I dont know if that is actually the reason or not, but I do know that on the international flights I have taken, I have never experienced any turbulence.

I have been to Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda but nothing too far. Little to no turbulence would be ideal. My best bet would be sleeping most of the time though...

I've flown quite a bit in my life. Apart from commercial, I flew in helicopters alot in the Marines. I'm one of those people who love flying... fascinated by flight. Except for the time in the Marines when we lost power in an engine in a hover and dropped about 100 feet in less than a second. Or the time when I flew to Japan in an old 747 and watched the wings go up and down to nearly a 90 degree angle over Alaska due to turbulence (some of the Marines on the plane were actually grabbing for their dog-tags).

You'll be fine! You're flying first-class you lucky dog! That will help a lot with anxiety/claustrophobia. Being crammed into those seats in coach for that many hours sucks! When I fly, I'm more worried about people coughing, sneezing, etc. and getting me sick (I'm weird like that).

Congrats on your marriage and it sounds like a great honeymoon! I went to the continent as well on my honeymoon (my post in your other thread) and had a great time. Except for... right as the wheels touched down in Munich, I turned to my new wife and said, "I think I'm getting a sore throat." (see above) Yep, had a terrible cold for 2/3 of the honeymoon!

The stats are with you. You won't crash. You might get a cold, but you won't crash.:)

I've flown quite a bit in my life. Apart from commercial, I flew in helicopters alot in the Marines. I'm one of those people who love flying... fascinated by flight. Except for the time in the Marines when we lost power in an engine in a hover and dropped about 100 feet in less than a second. Or the time when I flew to Japan in an old 747 and watched the wings go up and down to nearly a 90 degree angle over Alaska due to turbulence (some of the Marines on the plane were actually grabbing for their dog-tags).

You'll be fine! You're flying first-class you lucky dog! That will help a lot with anxiety/claustrophobia. Being crammed into those seats in coach for that many hours sucks! When I fly, I'm more worried about people coughing, sneezing, etc. and getting me sick (I'm weird like that).

Congrats on your marriage and it sounds like a great honeymoon! I went to the continent as well on my honeymoon (my post in your other thread) and had a great time. Except for... right as the wheels touched down in Munich, I turned to my new wife and said, "I think I'm getting a sore throat." (see above) Yep, had a terrible cold for 2/3 of the honeymoon!

The stats are with you. You won't crash. You might get a cold, but you won't crash.:)

Haha, thanks a lot. I'll make sure to stock up on my vitamins. Sorry you had to deal with that cold though!

I fly regularly for work. Keep in mind that you're in MUCH greater danger, statistically speaking, driving to and from the airport than you are once you board the plane. First class on a transcontinental flight is a very comfortable place to be. Take a couple of nighttime tylenol, put the seat down, and snooze your way across the pond. You'll be fine.

Or, save the tylenol for later, drink the free whiskey on the flight until you fall asleep, and take the tylenol when you wake up. Either way works, but I've learned not to drink on the plane myself, because I seem to get bad headaches when I do so. It's probably a dehydration thing.

I'm interested in the statistics. It helps to remind myself that attendants and pilots fly every week more than once in one day. I just wish it wasn't even an issue, the way that driving isn't an issue for me (and its not as safe!)...

I have flown over 1200 hundred hours in a combat zone, been shot at, missles launched at me, and dumb pilots try to kill me.
TRUST ME, a trans-atlantic flight will be a piece of cake dude.
Take some ambien, drink some wine and go to sleep, all will be good.

Here's another thing to remember. Turbulence can feel scary, but Bad weather is not a significant risk factor. Commercial Aircraft have magnificent radar available to them. That, and they are designed to operate in harsh "weather' For example: To you and I, a 150mph wind is devastating. To an airplane that normally travels 500mph+, it's no big deal. My last flight from Calif to Ga, we had a 200mph+ tail wind. Sound scary? Only if you are afraid of arriving home 1hr+ early. I never would have known unless the pilot mentioned it.

Watch the pro's in action:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIz-9pdzeTs]YouTube - FedEx Weather Divert[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPv8psZsvIU]YouTube - Flight Patterns[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St1DwNyXOQ8]YouTube - FedEx 24 Hour Plane Operations[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFl_u9kIk6c&feature=related]YouTube - Atlanta Flight Animation[/ame]

Latest posts

Back