Brewbie here.... (New Jersey)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00man2839

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Been following this community for the last 3 weeks or so, using the app on my phone. Finally got around to logging in on my laptop and decided to become a premium member, because honestly everyone seems awesome and really helpful.

I'm 35 year old, father of 3 living in Central NJ. About a year ago my wife bought me the NB Deluxe Brewing starter kit and a Irish Red Ale extract kit, and I was off to the races....

I'm one of those guys who starts a hobby and buys everything the 1st day, I'm proud to say I haven't done that yet, as I really want to enjoy and learn this craft.

There is nothing like opening that 1st bottle of beer, knowing that you created it, you could taste like literal isht, and you will cherish every sip... LOL! I remember watching my wife drink her first sip, like I was waiting for someone to judge me as if that sip had a million dollars on the line.

Due to traveling for work, I haven't had the opportunity to really brew since that 1st batch.

A month ago, I brewed a 1 gallon Irish stout. The reason why I brewed the 1 gallon was because I felt it was so hard to drink the 5 gallon batch by myself mostly (still have about 6 left, 8 months later). I will be honest it didn't feel as rewarding as the 5 gallon, when I bottled only 9 beers of the stout.

I don't know what I did wrong with the stout, maybe its too soon, but there is no carbonation and its a bit bitter. I used the fermentor's fizz drops 1 per 12 oz. bottle, and there is no head at all. my first Irish Ale was a bit bitter too, I'm thinking it may be my drinking water that I brewed with.

Last Sunday I brewed my 3rd batch the NB Cream Ale extract kit, I pitched a starter yeast for it with liquid Wyeast. I was so excited, I walked around the house shaking the flask for hours like it was a pimp cup, my wife made fun of me the whole day. I think I prematurely pitched the yeast though as there was really no fermentation after 48 hours. I threw it in the beer anyway and after 24 hours in the 5 gallon big bubbler, I saw nothing, to play it safe I threw in a S-05 and it's looking good now about 5 days later.

Sorry if this post was a hodgepodge of everything, like I said I'm just really excited to be a brewer and part of this community.

Welcome aboard from another Jersey Boy. I grew up in Bergen & Passaic Counties & lived on Long Beach Island for seven years. I then headed north where I knew I needed to be. I relocated to Vermont 13 years ago and love it here in dirty Southern VT.
Cheers :tank:

Thanks man. Wife and I both grew up on staten island, moved out here after we got married. It's ehhh lol

Cheers from Ocean County, Jackson area.

I took my wife's Mr. Beer the extra mile and bought my own kit and carboys to boot. I typically use the 5 and 6 gallon kit buckets for bottling and sanitation while my 3 gallon carboys do the fermenting work.

Three gallon batches are enough for me and a little over a dozen 22oz. bottles will last almost a month. I compete for space in the kitchen, so try to keep low-key most of the time so I don't get in SWMBO's hair. Doing mostly lighter ales and wheat brews because the local NJ water supports it, but thinking about a darker pumpkin ale come fall ... can't wait for the cooler temps come September.

Welcome to the community from CT! I have family that lives in central jersey...heightstown to be exact...they live on a small farm right next to vineyard...makes the family BBQ every year very fun!

Back