Lets talk about problems with big pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
Sometimes, when you have a lot of stuff TIG'ed (elements, drains, ect..) to them they can be hard to fit through the door, you have to do a little dance to get them through. When I got them I said "I'll never have a boil over again with all this extra room" but I'm still pushing the limits of the pot's. What are some of the problems you've had with those bigass pots?

Cleaning. I have to use my bathtub, which I don't really mind but the tub itself is quite large and I feel like it is a circus act for me bending over and trying to maneuver the pots and the doggie wash hose I use.

Used to be setting up the power washer to clean it, but now its calling my dad so he can pick up, and take to the carwash where he works at his part time old man job. Big pot is not a problem at all for me.

Taking them out and putting them away. I've the pot that came with my first everything and a pot kit. Then, the turkey fryer pot. Then, the big ass Bayou pot. Most of our other pots and pans being cast iron makes unpacking the cabinet even more work. I've set it up now for the Bayou pot to just sit on top of other gear in the brew closet.

I'm not getting this. I have a triplet of 20g BMs and revel in the sea of polished stainless steel.

So bright I gotta wear shades...

Cheers! :cool:

I do 5 gallon batches in my 25 gallon pot sometimes, the valve is NOT low enough for that haha!! Also cleaning kinda sucks I have to roll the thing around and try to spray it.

Boil-off and heating problems. When you do smaller batches in big pots, you have a lot more surface-to-wort. That may screw up your OG a little bit.

Second thing is big pots and big burners cause a lot of heat. Check out my post "modern art site glass" for an example. My keggle got so hot with 3 gallons of water at a boil that it caused the sight glass (poly) to melt. With less water, the part of your pot that isn't filled can get pretty damn hot.

Now if you're doing full batches every time, or have a more efficient burner (i was using an old style banjo), you might not have these problems.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back