Let's talk about new belgium bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverseApacheMaster

Reaction score
More importantly, I have had several experiences bottling in NB bottles where the wing capper was shearing off the top of the bottle just below the mouth. I have since realized that the bottles all have a seam that runs along one side of the bottle and connects to a seam that runs around the neck where the bottles keep breaking. (This is different from the two seams that normally run vertically parallel on the bottles. Those are there, too.)

Anybody know what's up with the construction/design of these bottles?

I will probably phase out NB bottles from my supply as I come across them in the bottling process but I was curious if anybody else had experienced this or knew why the bottles have a mystery seam.

I have no idea why they manufacture them this way, but I've also stopped using NB bottles after a few kerploded on me with some (admittedly overcarbed) beer. I think it's been noted in these forums by multiple sources that the NB bottles seem thinner than is typical.

FWIW, I've stopped reusing Widmer bottles for the same reason.

I haven't had a problem with my NB bottles breaking, but I've only had 4 batches in them

all the bottles i have, have that seam under the mouth of the bottle but i have not had any problems with them so far. and i have quite a few NB and Widmer bottles

I have a ton of NB bottles and haven't had any issues with a wing or bench capper. You guys must be some kind of monsters to break the neck of a bottle.

I've never had any trouble with them....

I'm bottling tonight so if this is the first time something happens, I'm blaming you!

Back