Lesson learned: Buy an accurate thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LandofOZ said:
I just epoxied where the probe and wire meet on my digital thermometer from wallmart. seems to have done the trick as i know of others who complained about thermometers going bad after getting wet where wired at probe

I heard of some people putting a silicone tube over. Your method sounds easier.

For around $65 you can get a PID and a temperature probe.
Then you're halfway there to temperature regulated heating...

Email today said none of the probes are water proof where the cable connets to the "probe". Bummers :mad:

You can find a type K waterproof probe elsewhere. Thermapen makes one, as do others.

I believe the most critical part of homebrewing is maintaining accurate mash temps.

That being said... Thermapen, FTW!

At which you cannot calibrate in cold or boiling water. Thermometers are not always linear, so its false to assume that a thermometer calibrated at roughly 32 is also accurate at 150.

OK... Are you trying to say that Thermapens are inaccurate?

So I need yet another thermometer. I was thinking about biting the bullet and getting the thermapen. As much as I have spent already in cheap ones I could have purchased a good one and been done already.
What model of thermapen do you guys use?

For that price I could get a PID and a remote probe. Which wouldn't be a bad idea because I could have other uses for it. But what probes are available for a PID? I would like to just throw it in the mash and let it sit there.
Would also be nice to be able to stick it into meat when I am using my smoker.
Any advice?
Thanks

So I need yet another thermometer. I was thinking about biting the bullet and getting the thermapen. As much as I have spent already in cheap ones I could have purchased a good one and been done already.
What model of thermapen do you guys use?

For that price I could get a PID and a remote probe. Which wouldn't be a bad idea because I could have other uses for it. But what probes are available for a PID? I would like to just throw it in the mash and let it sit there.
Would also be nice to be able to stick it into meat when I am using my smoker.
Any advice?
Thanks

I use the new model 'splash proof' Thermapen. I bought it right away when I started brewing AG 2.5 years ago. Always been very glad I did. I knew that the foot-long dial thermometer I got with my original kit would never cut it for AG. I get FAST, ACCURATE readings with the Thermapen. Some people balk at the price, but with some things, to get a certain quantum jump in performance, significant money must be spent. I also use the Thermapen in cooking and baking on a day to day basis, where it is equally valuable.

As an unrelated example, buy a $50 set of binoculars. Try a $150 set, and you will be very impressed. Now take a look through a set of $1400 Zeiss glasses, and you'll think you're seeing things better and clearer at a distance than you do in front of your face. Same thing with a lot of instruments, but it depends on what you need......and I'm not suggesting that you buy any more than that.

Back