Lesson #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
Ever ever move your boil kettle with out wearing shoes, even if a storm is blowing through....

Had a storm blow through and I was seasoning a 10 gallon brew kettle by boiling water in it, well I had already turned the heat off, and while moving it the dog ran into me causing me to lose my balance and I spilled about 9 gallons of hot hot hot water on da feet

BAD MOVE Maynard

Doh! Wish I could say I'll learn from your mistake, but I'm about 40 years behind on my own lessons.

Did it require a trip to the ER?

Nope swmbo called the daughter (paramedic) and she came over and took care of it..... Lots
Of burn cream.....

Interestingly enough she said the worst thing one can do is immediately apply ice...... First time I ever heard that one since I always heard ice or cold water will
Pull out the heat faster thereby avoiding perm nerve damage

So point of interest, as I am burnign myself a couple times a week, what IS the best way to treat a burn?

I could tell a story about a guy who showed up for work with boots on and pants tucked into those boots. He then proceeded to brew an entire pot of coffee. The coffee pot malfunctioned sending the entire pot of scalding hot coffee down his leg and into his boot. Following that was a trip to the ER. Couldn't get his boot off fast enough. Scars to prove it. Name purposely omitted to protect the foolish....

Lesson #2: Don't relax and quaff beer when you're handlin' 10 gallons of boiling water (during a storm). And don't stick your dick in the mashed potatoes. It ain't that kinda party.

Dog is still alive, he was smart enough to avoid the hot scalding water and I wasn't thinking clearly enough TO KICK HIS EVER LOVIN ASS!!!! at the time :ban:

Still sore as crap and blistered up good....no shoe for a while.....but it could have been worse :) At least I still have FEELING in it LOL

The recommended treatment is cool water to reduce the heat, not ice, apparently ice can make it worse, actually burning the skin even further or breaking the blisters open and allowing an injection to set in.

1. remove the clothing
2. Run cool water for 20 minutes
3, wrap with gauze loosely
4. head to the ER

If it was hot enough that the skin peeled off, get the clothing off and race your fanny to the hospital.

Glad it wasn't wort :)

Grease youself up with bacitracin and get some rest. After a few days, switch to unscented lotion. I had 2nd degree burns all over my face and loaded myself up with it. I have no scars and my skin didn't even peel.

I did something similar I was brewing over the weekend with a buddy and we were both wearing sandles. I was heating up strike and sparge water to about 180 degrees and when we went to pour it into the mash tun we initially used the ball valve to empty the water in but when when it was almost empty we decided to lift the kettle and pour the rest in. We forgot to close the ballvalve and guess what ended up on my foot ..... 180 degree water and yes it does hurt I can confirm this.

We had a guy at my restaurant cleaning a vent hood above a deep fryer one night. Slipped and put his leg in the fryer. I've never seen someone in so much pain.

I'm glad my SWMBO doesn't read these forums or she'd put a stop to my brew days immediately. I had a bottle bomb go off in my face, which was bad enough. Just sharp glass flying everywhere. Told her I cut myself shaving. Which, when your neck is shredded by glass it's no fun shaving.

Reminds me of the time (not long ago) when I got a boilover and grabbed the handles of my 5gal brew pot and lifted it off the burner... Fortunately I *was* wearing shoes, so when I dropped it a second and a half later I didn't burn my toes. Worst part was, I was brewing with my daughter, so I couldn't even swear properly!

One of the only times I've cried in the passed 35 years is when the
gauze had to be peeled off my burned hands - every night for weeks...

Down to about ten blisters and still got feeling so I Prolly escaped the worst of it....

Still looking for a pump that will pump hot liquid lol

Back