Less trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedley

Reaction score
Hi brewers,

I just bottled my 3rd ever batch of beer - the first I've made using the sort of hops I like (Amarillo). Much lighter in colour than my previous attempts (a lovely amber), which I expect is down to using a light DME. First taste is great! Lovely hoppy and citrusy flavour - just how I like it.

I noticed that there was considerably less trub at the bottom of the fermenter than my first two batches. Other than the type of hops, lighter DME, the fact I used more hops, and dry hopped (all factors of which won't cause less trub to my knowledge), another factor was that it was a colder time of year. I wonder if it was just a slower fermentation and has not converted all the DME to alcohol yet, although it doesn't taste sweet - in fact it has a fair bit of mouth-pucker to it.

The bottled beer seems to be collecting a higher amount of sediment at bottom than usual after a day or two standing (I think).

I guess I will be able to assess alcohol volume after I drink a couple of bottle in two weeks time : )

Is this a concern? Any learning points I should take? Any pointers most appreciated.

Ross

Have you taken any measurements with a hydrometer? That's how you tell for sure.

It's a good idea the check that before bottling.

You could have more yeast in the bottle for a couple reasons. Maybe there was more yeast still in suspension or maybe you stired up the yeast more when transferred to a bottling bucket.

It won't hurt anything. Just pour gently and pour all of the beer at once leaving about a quarter inch of beer/yeast in the bottle if you want a pretty clear beer.

If you you leave your carboy sit around a little longer more yeast will drop out. Better yet cold crash, pop it in the fridge for a few days even more will fall out.

Thanks

I have used a hydrometer lots of times for wine, but was put off using one for beer after my first beer batch. I brew the hops and DME in half the water, and then add that to the fermenter with the rest of the water. The first time I took a hydrometer reading it was way out (it indicated I did not have enough DME in, which I did). Someone mentioned that you can't get an accurate hydrometer reading if you mix a concentrated brew with water, as you won't be able to perfectly blend it.

I guess I could still take a reading at the end, if I had a SG to aim for before bottling, yes?

You should always measure before bottling, to know that it's done. You want to get the same reading twice a couple days apart. If you bottle before it's done you risk bottle bombs from too much CO2 while fermentation finishes. Again the point is to prove the gravity is stable and no longer changing.

Honestly, giving up on a fundamental tool after one batch seems silly. Read a little on how and where to use it. If you're doing extract and topping up with water you will want to make sure the top up water is thoroughly mixed in before taking a measurement. If it isn't you can get inaccurate readings. So go through your boil and chill, add to fermenter, add the top up water, and mix like mad. You need to aerate it anyway. Once it's mixed you should be able to measure your starting gravity.

I hear you. I had the same problems with extract brews.

You can actually calculate your original gravity with extract pretty easily. Just tally up all your extract and water, you'all have 100% efficiency if you dumped everything in you primary. And if u have one of those degassers that attaches to a cordless drill with your wine stuff they do a great job of mixing up the concentrated wort and top off water. Plus you can get some good oxygen in there.

It is good form to take some measurements before bottling just to make sure everything is done.

What you'r after is two gravity readings separated by a day or two. That stability means the yeast ate up all the sugar it can or will. If you haven't bottle yet I recommend you check it first.

I'm sure your good. If not drink it up quick and start a new batch!

Back