Length of time for cold crashing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Till the beer clears to the point you want it. Usually at least a day or two, but can go as long as you want. I cold crashed 5 gallons for 10 days once and it still bottle carbed fine.

I just did one for 18 days. A Belgian Golden Strong around 9% ABV. Kept it around 34*F and cleared up nice.

beerloaf

Do you bottle it when it comes back up to room temp? Or right out of the frig?

Very nice...I was thinking of trying it for my deadringer I have in the primary, any thoughts? Just curious as to what styles clear up best/the most.

Very nice...I was thinking of trying it for my deadringer I have in the primary, any thoughts? Just curious as to what styles clear up best/the most.

Beers with high protein content (ie wheat beers) may not clear up very well, but all else (even hoppy beers) should clear well. Even non-flocuclant yeast strains will tend to fall out with cold crashing.

I also think "clear" is very subjective. What some people deem clear is cloudy to others. Most micro and craft beers I've had are "clear" in that I can kind of see my hand through the glass. If you want filtered clear to where you can see your fingerprints through the glass you'll probably have to use some fining. gelatin works great in conjunction with cold crashing and results in crystal clear beer when done right.

Do you need to pitch more yeast in order to bottle condition after you cold crash for a few days?

No, like I said, I cold crashed for 10 days and then bottle carbed with no extra pitching and no problems carbing. Depends on the yeast, but there will still be plenty of yeast in suspension after a few days cold crashing.

chumpsteak said:
No, like I said, I cold crashed for 10 days and then bottle carbed with no extra pitching and no problems carbing. Depends on the yeast, but there will still be plenty of yeast in suspension after a few days cold crashing.

Sweet. Sorry, I miss your post there before. I just bottled a beer that I cold crashed. I also plan on doing that for the Kolsch I brewed today.

Just looking for "clearer." haven't used Irish moss or whirflock...I've heard whirflock is better for extract brew, rather than Irish moss.

Back