Lemon Shandy with a 3711?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNJake

Reaction score
So plans change and I ended up with a smack pack of 3711. My next two beers to brew are a Shiner Bock clone and a Lemon Shandy. I'm thinking that the shandy may not be too much of a stretch and the yeast I have on hand for it is just US05 so I can store that much longer than the 3711.
I don't have experience with 3711 so I am not 100% sold.

Anyone out there have experience with it and have some input?

Basics of the recipe (NB) are:
4.75 lbs Weyermann Barke Pilsner
4.75 lb Rahr White Wheat
1 oz crystal hops

The "shandy" part comes from 12 grams Crystallized Lemon added after fermentation

Tons of threads involving 3711 here. I haven't used it myself, but it's on my list. Monster attenuator, will give you character you may not want in your beer.

Tons of threads involving 3711 here. I haven't used it myself, but it's on my list. Monster attenuator, will give you character you may not want in your beer.
That is kind of what I am worried about. Although I did read that if you kept it at a neutral temperature range it may have little yeast character.

I use 3711 a lot. You will still get saison character at lower temps. It's not as yeasty as the Belgian strains, but it will ferment your wort with incredible attenuation. I have had 1.06 beers go down to 1.000 - 1.002 range.

It's a great yeast but I've only used it when brewing saisons and you will end up with a dry beer. It might be what you want to try but just know going in this will ferment ALL the way down !!!

Back