Lemon Coriander Weiss still going strong in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmako

Reaction score
My second beer (my first still in bottles awaiting carbonation).

My Lemon Coriander Weiss has been in the primary for 2 days shy of 3 weeks, now the gravity is getting very close to FG (1.012) but I have to ask, in my thief there are thousands of bubbles!

Its like champaine is this normal for a wheat?
Still put in secondary (for the lemon zesting) if gravity is correct?
Just pour in a glass and drink? (I did and it is good!!)

It's normal for a beer in primary to have dissolved Co2 in it. Actually I think recently I read that at room temperature and pressure your beer could have .9 volumes of Co2 in them. If it's colder (as it is for a lager) it could have even more.

I would go ahead and transfer to secondary, some of the Co2 will come out of solution and give the beer a nice blanket in the secondary to protect it from oxidation. This is assuming you are close to your predicted FG. (That is saying, it's done fermenting).

One thing to watch out for when taking the SG on a beer that has bubbles, make sure you either get your sample, and leave it till the next day to take your reading, or get your sample, and shake it up till no more Co2 is offgassing, that way you won't have any bubbles attached to your hydrometer and throwing your reading off.

conpewter said:
It's normal for a beer in primary to have dissolved Co2 in it. Actually I think recently I read that at room temperature and pressure your beer could have .9 volumes of Co2 in them. If it's colder (as it is for a lager) it could have even more.

I would go ahead and transfer to secondary, some of the Co2 will come out of solution and give the beer a nice blanket in the secondary to protect it from oxidation. This is assuming you are close to your predicted FG. (That is saying, it's done fermenting).

One thing to watch out for when taking the SG on a beer that has bubbles, make sure you either get your sample, and leave it till the next day to take your reading, or get your sample, and shake it up till no more Co2 is offgassing, that way you won't have any bubbles attached to your hydrometer and throwing your reading off.

Great tip, I'm shooting for 1.010 - 1.012 and was around 1.013/14 3 days ago but I bet the Co2 bubbles were helping raise the reading.

We brewed some lemon corriander weiss yesterday, In the liquor store today I was unable to find anything like it. Let me know how yours comes out. I am going to use a Ayinger weizze to compare, but I have a feeling it won't do any justice. We bought our recipe from Midwest.

thread revival...

how did the lemon coriander weiss turn out?

I'm thinkin i might want to try this for my second brew also..

would this need to ferment like a lager or more like an ale? I'm looking to ferment between 65*-70*(F), would this weiss beer do good at that temp range?

hello metallhed

im also interested in how this ended up

thanx for reviving this thread.... 65f sounds like a good temp. 70f is almost too high.
it should ferment like an ale because it is an ale..lol

yeah i wasn't sure if this was an ale or not.. i haven't fully learned all of my beer types quite yet.. lol

Back