Lemon Chamomile Honey Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinnythering

Reaction score
New brew for Friday, June 15. Once again, the grain bill is already mixed so I can't take anything out, but I am not opposed to adding ingredients.

Style: Blonde Ale

Estimated Measurements:
SRM: 3.9 SRM
IBU: 17.7 IBUs
OG: 1.038 SG (before honey)
OG: 1.049 SG (after honey)
FG: 1.004 SG
ABV: 5.8 %

5.2 % 8.0 oz Rice Hulls
62.3% 6.0 lb Bohemian Pilsner Malt
10.4% 1.0 lb Corn, Flaked
3.9 % 6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
1.3 % 2.0 oz Aromatic Malt
1.3 % 2.0 oz Honey Malt
15.6% 1.5 lb Pasteurized Honey (Added during high kraeusen)
1.50 oz vodka infused with zest of two lemons after primary fermentation

Add 9 qt of 130F water - 122F for 30 min
Add 5 qt of 206F water - 148F for 30 min
Decoct 5.5 qt of mash and boil it - 168F for 10 min

0.25 oz Fuggles 5.7 % --- Boil 60 min
0.25 oz Saaz 3.3 % ------ Boil 60 min
2.00 oz Chamomile ------- Boil 60 min
1 Whirlfloc Tablet ------ Boil 15 min
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient - Boil 15 min
0.50 oz Fuggles 5.7 % --- Boil 15 min
0.50 oz Saaz 3.3 % ------ Boil 15 min
0.25 oz Fuggles 5.7 % --- Boil 5 min
0.25 oz Saaz 3.3 % ------ Boil 5 min

German Ale/Kolsch Yeast WLP029

2 weeks primary @ 67F
2 weeks secondary @ 67F
2 weeks bottle condition

I am mostly concerned with the chamomile, lemon, and honey additions. I want the flavors to be there, obviously, but not overpowering.

Any criticism would be appreciated.

Well I brewed this one up today. Nearly hit all of my numbers, but as usual I was off by a point or so. Oh well that works for me! Anyway, I used 1.5 oz of Chamomile instead. I didn't change anything else. After it was all boiled and cooled I tasted it. The chamomile wasn't too overpowering and was actually really nice. I think this is going to be a very good brew. :)

So probably a good thing that I didn't us the full 2 oz then? How did you add your lemon? I haven't added my zest/vodka infusion yet.

I added dried lemon at 50 minutes. I will go a different route next time, I can't taste much. The chamomile and Trappist yeast go well together.

Yeah I saw the wildflower wheat one. Sounded awesome. I remember he mentions at some point that the chamomile was a little strong so I backed off my original addition by a half ounce. Ha when I first designed this recipe I was considering SIX OUNCES. Good thing I did myself a favor and researched. I haven't been home all evening but it hadn't started up a kraeusen yet. As soon as it does I will be adding my 1.5 lb of wildflower honey. I'm expecting maybe midday tomorrow to get a good layer.

So I mixed my 1.5 lb of wildflower honey with what I'm assuming was about a quart and a half of water and heated it (accidentally) to 160, then let that sit for just over a half hour. I cooled it in an ice bath and dumped it (carefully of course) into the fermenter and now I am patiently waiting for something bad to happen. :p I've never done this before so we'll see if I did it right. I am going to add the lemon/vodka infusion when I rack to secondary. Everything is looking and smelling just amazing. I didn't test or taste this time but I will on the 29th and update again.

I bottled this up last week and I'm considering opening one up tonight to give it a test. But the beer was so clear I am doubtful that it will be carbonated enough. One bottle isn't too much of a sacrifice I guess. The gravity was 1.008 and the taste was a little better than before. The chamomile kind of calmed down and the hop flavor is a little more pronounced. No flavor or aroma from the honey or lemon though. Maybe that will change once it's carbed? I'll find out tonight. Cheers!

Ho-ly crap. This was DELICIOUS. I was planning on having one, but everyone loved it and ended up cracking open FIVE. I only had one but that wasn't for a lack of trying, everyone was just loving them. It is very disappointing, however, that the honey and lemon flavors didn't make it; there was absolutely no flavor or aroma from either. There was definitely a noticeable dryness that I am assuming is from the honey. But even after only a week in the bottle, it was nice and carbonated and had a very smooth bitterness behind a strong yet pleasant chamomile flavor. Extremely clear even after chilling in an ice bath. All in all I am very pleased with this beer. It had less of a yellowish/straw color that I had expected and more of a light copper color.

I think I will omit the honey malt and probably even the aromatic, and I will also lower the chamomile to 1 oz and increase the honey to 2 lbs and add it at a different time during fermentation so I can keep more aroma and flavor. Also, I will add more lemon zest so that can be noticeable, but not overpowering. I want a nice balance of flavors and in order to do that, they have to be there in the first place! This won't be for a while so I will worry about it later. But as it is, I can definitely recommend my recipe. It was a hit even with the BMC drinkers.

After a while as the flavors mellowed, the honey started coming through very nicely. You kind of had to search for it among the chamomile, but it was definitely there and very tasty. Anyway, I brewed this again with variations and I hate it. Never again with the citrus zest. Well, not until I get a better grasp on how to do it. Here is the recipe:

OG: 1.046
FG: 1.004
IBU: 19.3
SRM: 3.5
ABV: 5.5

5.00 lb pilsner
1.00 lb flaked corn
12.0 oz crystal 10
8.00 oz rice hulls

6 qt water @ 133F for 122F for 20 min
4 qt water @ 199F for 148F for 75 min
6 qt water @ 208F for 168F for 10 min

Boil 60 mins

0.75 oz chamomile @ 60
0.25 oz fuggles 5.7% @ 60
0.25 oz saaz 3.3% @ 60
0.50 oz fuggles 5.7% @ 15
0.50 oz saaz 3.3% @ 15
0.25 oz fuggles 5.7% @ 5
0.25 oz saaz 3.3% @ 5

1.50 lb honey in primary during high kraeusen
Zest of 4 lemons in secondary for 1 week

WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch

68F 2 weeks primary
68F 2 weeks secondary

Tastes like old lemon peel and is overly bitter. I really can't bring myself to drink it because it is bitter and weird. Then again I didn't give it more than a sample, I will go ahead and actually taste a full one soon. I just wanted to post this up for now. What could I have done differently? I definitely want to leave out the lemon entirely next time.

After letting this one age a bit, the flavor has mellowed a little, but still tastes like old lemon peel. Also it pours like soda with almost no head and is highly carbonated. I noticed that this is actually better as it warms. As you drink it, it seems like the lemon fades out and the honey is more noticable. The chamomile has taken a back seat with this batch though, it is always there but very faint.

Latest posts

Back