• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Legal Windows 7 Disc and License

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi HBT, I'm building a budget computer for my niece. She doesn't have a lot of resources (money).

I already exceeded my budget for the project so am hoping I could pick up a copy for pretty cheap. Seems expensive when I look for legit versions. I could just torrent it but I want it to work well for her and be a clean computer she can do her homework on without worry about anything.

If you can help me out please let me know. Cheers guys

I bought a win 7 OEM license and media for about $79 a year ago for my church (and that wasn't a special NPO price.) I'll see if I can track down where I found that...

ETA: I bought it from http://www.productquest.net but that site now just puts up a signon screen. :( Sorry.

Thanks z-bob. Ebay seems to be about in that price range. I was hoping for someone's used copy they don't need any more kind of thing.

She just started school and needs to have something to type her papers up on. I already have an MS office license. I put Ubuntu on it and she's using Google Docs for now, but she needs Windows/office.

I'll ship a few San Diego brewskies to anyone that can help us!

I just checked, the product key I have will enable either 32 bit or 64 bit. Whichever ISO you download will determine your version. Feel free to double check my information.

Sounds great. How much are you looking to get for the key MiddleMan?

Do you have a pic or something showing it's valid? Maybe a screenshot of the below will work.

And it doesn't look like those links work any more. MS has a software recovery tool (they let you download software once you enter a key). Could you check it? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

241, it doesn't look good it won't verify. If you have a copy of Vista Basic lying around I will give you a product key from a dead machine, and you get an upgrade to win 10 for free. Right now, that is the best I can do. I bought this product key 5 or six years ago,and it may have been an OEM non-upgradeable to Win 10 version.

241, it doesn't look good it won't verify. If you have a copy of Vista Basic lying around I will give you a product key from a dead machine, and you get an upgrade to win 10 for free. Right now, that is the best I can do. I bought this product key 5 or six years ago,and it may have been an OEM non-upgradeable to Win 10 version.

Ah bummer. Damn them for stopping those digitalriver downloads.

I don't have a copy of vista either. Ah well thanks for your effort!

At some point soon, I will get a hold of MS and ask them to give me a valid code.

EDIT: current in chat with MS to get a valid key (I hope) The key I have is good, but it is from a Volume License retailer. I will call them tomorrow to get a current key (or at least try)

Has she checked with the school? They do volume license purchasing. When I worked at Texas Tech any Microsoft product was free to students and staff. I currently work at a public school and several districts offer office and windows to staff and/or students. We offer to staff and students are on a very select basis for taking college level courses.

Has she checked with the school? They do volume license purchasing. When I worked at Texas Tech any Microsoft product was free to students and staff. I currently work at a public school and several districts offer office and windows to staff and/or students. We offer to staff and students are on a very select basis for taking college level courses.

Yes this is actually how we have office. Oddly an actual copy of Windows is not something they offer.

My wife is also going through a grad school program and her bookstore only has office as well. Very strange.

I guess they figure everyone already has a copy when they buy their Dell's or whatever. I thought building her one with parts I had lying around (plus a few I purchased) would be the most budget effective but if I have to pay full price for a copy of Windows it may not have been the best decision.

Are you looking for a specific edition? If not is home premium good enough?

Home would work, but since I added 16 GB ram to her computer it might be an issue since it looks like the limit is 8 GB on x64.

Another member PM'd me and we are working out the specifics. Thanks you guys :rockin:

Vista isn't covered under the free upgrade to Windows 10. Just an FYI.

Back