Leftovers Dark Rye Low ABV Recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwood522

Reaction score
Hi All
Looking to accomplish 4 things in one brew--
-Use the 1lb of Briess special roast I got from renewing AHA
-Brew a beer with rye for the first time
-Get rid of a bunch of leftover ingredients
-Make a sneakily low abv summer session beer vaguely similar to Ruthless Rye from SN

3 lb Breiss 2 row
2 lb Rye Malt
1 lb Breiss Special Roast
4 oz Brown malt

.5 oz Centennial 60 min
1 oz Cent 10 min
.5 oz Cent flameout
.5 oz Cent dry hop

US-05

OG 1.031 FG 1.006 3.3% 38 IBU 9 SRM

I BIAB so not worried about stuck sparges from the the rye.

Yay or nay? Any advice is appreciated!

:mug:

James from Basic Brewing was my inspiration for this with his very low ABV rye beers that he said tasted like a 5 or 6% beer even though they were 3% or less.
Thanks again for any advice
-steve

Looks nice except I'd worry about that being too much special roast. Full disclosure I've never actually used it, but I understand it's like a darker, more intense victory that can have a slight sourdough flavor. Several places mention using up to 10%, so 16% sounds like a lot. I like the idea though, a roasty brown rye with centennial sounds yummy and I like playing around with low ABV/high flavor beers.

That's similar to a recipe I'm using (except no Special Roast). Mine has:

9# Maris Otter
3# Rye Malt
6 oz. Chocolate Wheat
4 oz Flaked Rye

.5 oz Columbus 60 min
.5 oz Columbus 20 min
1 oz Styrian Celiea 10 min.

Wyeast 2112 Yeast (with a starter).

Drinking one right now, in fact. I agree with Chickypad, that's a lot of Special Roast. Why not cut it in half, increase your base malt the same amount, and if you like it, you'll have a half pound of Special Roast to do it again.

I'm sure I'd enjoy a pint of yours.

Thanks for the advice. This is my first brew with special roast, I think I will cut it in half.
Mongoose- I haven't used flaked rye before either, what does that bring to the party? Sounds enticing...Thx

Is the special roast similar to brown or amber malt? In the recipes somewhere I put a low gravity porter based on WW2 recipe from Whitbread. It must have had about 15-20% brown malt and it drunk way above it's strength. OG was around 1.035 or less. One tip: Keep IBU high enough (I had 35) and it will help to fool you. Also, the brown malt (and I assume special roast?) gave it a lot of body. Overall it was an 1.035 that drunk like a 1.045.

Edit: Found link to the recipe.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=563504

Back